[Tutorial] Creating a duotone effect

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2019-08-19 14:13:17

The duotone effect is a very striking and colorful effect inspired by a popular printmaking technique. The effect is achieved by recreating an image using just two colors — one for the dark parts of the image and one for the light ones. This usually emphasizes the midtones and highlights, drawing attention to the subjects in a photo. And the best part? Creating this effect couldn’t be simpler.Image
Read the full tutorial.

2020-05-26 18:15:34

At the end it says "Simply choose the Color Adjustments tool and apply the Black & White adjustment to the same image."

There is no such Black & White selection in that.

2020-05-28 13:33:46

Here's what I'm seeing when I choose the Color Adjustments tool and click the Add button:
Another way to add the adjustment is by choosing Format > Color Adjustments > Black & White (from the Format menu at the top of your screen).

2020-06-02 17:05:41

Good stuff. BUT: Why is there no tritone or quadtone? These are some of my favourite effects and I really wonder why I can't add additional colours. The third colour simply gives it a little extra spice. Please add that feature. It's been in Photoshop forever. Affinity Photo has the gradient map effect, which can do all that.
BTW: For the old Pixelmator app (without the "Pro") I could download plugins that would do that, albeit not as nicely as in Photoshop/Affinity.

2020-06-03 14:20:52

There's no specific reason as to why this doesn't exist, we simply haven't created a feature like this yet. But we like the effect too, so we'll keep this in mind!

2020-12-21 15:15:39

And a Gradient Map effect has just been added to Pixelmator Pro as of today's 2.0.2 update.

2021-01-28 15:59:04

I'm here looking for tritone image creation and see I'm not the first. I hope it comes soon.

2021-02-01 09:18:35

by Mark Tennent 2021-01-28 13:59:04 I'm here looking for tritone image creation and see I'm not the first. I hope it comes soon.
It's actually available! The new Gradient Map effect can now be used to create tritones, quadtones, and effects using any number of tones, in fact.

2021-06-10 23:36:18

Hi,

Gradient Map functionality is awesome.

Unfortunately, it's been incredibly buggy for me. Messing up the whole Pixelmator experience as long as I have it in any document. As soon as I use it, and 5 or 10 minutes goes by, I'll start to have these weird artifacts that replace the entire layer that holds the gradient map. These artifacts make the image look nearly unrecognizable, oftentimes making the whole picture maybe inverted, and random colors and the only thing you can make out is the high contrast edges. If I choose the layer, go into gradient map, and reverse the direction and then reverse it back, it usually fixes it. Or I close the document and reopen it. That doesn't always work though.

This can happen every 5 minutes, or every minute, never know. But it's happening across multiple documents, so I know it's not something unique.

I'm using an M1 MacBook Pro. Please help!

Thanks,
David

2021-06-11 07:12:06

by Daveinpublic Hi,

Gradient Map functionality is awesome.

Unfortunately, it's been incredibly buggy for me. Messing up the whole Pixelmator experience as long as I have it in any document. As soon as I use it, and 5 or 10 minutes goes by, I'll start to have these weird artifacts that replace the entire layer that holds the gradient map. These artifacts make the image look nearly unrecognizable, oftentimes making the whole picture maybe inverted, and random colors and the only thing you can make out is the high contrast edges. If I choose the layer, go into gradient map, and reverse the direction and then reverse it back, it usually fixes it. Or I close the document and reopen it. That doesn't always work though.

This can happen every 5 minutes, or every minute, never know. But it's happening across multiple documents, so I know it's not something unique.

I'm using an M1 MacBook Pro. Please help!

Thanks,
David
Hey there David. This doesn't sound right. If you haven't already, perhaps you could email us at support@pixelmator.com with a video showing how this issue looks like on your Mac and, if possible a PXD file in which this happens? Thanks in advance!

2021-07-10 18:12:34

Thank you, will do! Flattening the effect seems to work for now. Will send a few images of what happens now.