(Released on June 11, 2018)
Pixelmator Pro 1.1.1 brings a number of bug fixes and other improvements.
• You can now expand grouped tools by Force clicking the group or clicking and holding it for half a second.
• Export suffixes will now be saved with export presets.
• SVG images will be exported with more compact compression.
• When exporting to SVG, shapes with center stroke outlines would be exported with square joints, instead of the round ones in Pixelmator Pro. Fixed.
• Scrolling the font size field would create undo steps for each intermediate size. Now, undo steps will be created only for the sizes you stop on.
• When using the Slice tool, selecting an object slice will now select the associated layer in the Layers sidebar and vice versa.
• The brush cursor would not update when using a Retouch or Distort tool and changing the brush size in the Touch Bar. Fixed.
• When using the Color, Image, and Gradient fill effects, the selected blending mode would not have a checkmark next to it in the blending mode pop-up menu. Fixed.
• After resetting the style of a shape, the next shape will be drawn with the default style.
• Performance when resizing layers with gradients fills or strokes has been improved.
• The progress bar will no longer be shown when using drag and drop to export one slice with one format if an optimized version has already been prepared.
• The brush cursor would flicker when selecting the Paint tool if the size of the brush was different from the size saved in the preset. Fixed.
• The effect handle position of the Focus and Tilt-Shift effects would not update after undoing. Fixed.
• Object slices from text layers will now be created more accurately.
• When using Export for Web, adding a suffix, then changing the export format to SVG would export the SVG with a suffix, even though it shouldn’t have one. Fixed.
• You can now scroll the size fields when using the Arrange tool with more precision.
• If part of a text layer was beyond the canvas, converting it into pixels would sometimes change its position. Fixed.
• The Undo command would temporarily stop working while moving documents between Retina and non-Retina displays. Fixed.
• Fixed an issue with reopening documents that contain line text layers wider than the image canvas.
• When using Wacom graphics tablets to edit gradient color stops, it would be very difficult to change colors. Fixed.
• When creating a new document from a layer, the layer will be placed so that any layer styles appear inside the canvas.
• When creating documents in full screen, graphical glitches would appear in the document name in the Pixelmator Pro toolbar. Fixed.
• Fixed several related issues with clicking Color and Gradient wells when the Colors window and Gradients palettes were open.
• Choosing the Merge Shape Components command on a shape with components that create a completely empty shape would cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly. Fixed.
• Attempting to export a slice with a very long name would occasionally cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly. Fixed.
• On very rare occasions, exporting an image for the web in the PNG format with reduced colors would cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly. Fixed.
(Released on May 31, 2018)
A modern way to easily prepare images for the web.Learn more
Get quick access to all your Pixelmator Pro tools.Learn more
Automatically perfect the colors of a photo using the power of breakthrough machine learning.Learn more
Divide designs into individual images and optimize each one separately.Learn more
Shrink image sizes to the maximum while preserving the highest possible quality.Learn more
Quickly export images optimized with your most used settings.Learn more
Save your favorite export settings to speed up preparing images for the web.Learn more
Open, edit, and export resolution-independent vector images.Learn more
Export images to the modern High Efficiency Image File format.Learn more
See handy live previews when formatting text and adjusting layer blending.Learn more
Make selections of precise colors or entire color ranges.Learn more
Learn all about using Pixelmator Pro with easy to follow video and text tutorials.Learn more
New in Pixelmator Pro 1.1 Monsoon:
• The new Export for Web feature gives you a modern way to easily prepare your images for the web.
• Get quick access to all your Pixelmator Pro tools with support for the MacBook Pro Touch Bar.
• Automatically perfect the colors of your photos with three machine learning-powered Auto Color Adjustments — Auto White Balance, Auto Lightness, and Auto Hue & Saturation.
• The new Slice tool lets you divide designs into individual images and optimize each one separately.
• Advanced Compression lets you shrink image sizes to the smallest possible without losing quality.
• Use Quick Export to quickly export images optimized with your most used settings.
• Export Presets let you save your favorite export settings to speed up exporting images.
• Thanks to SVG support, you can now open, edit, and export resolution-independent vector images.
• Export images in the modern High Efficiency Image File Format.
• See handy live previews when formatting text and adjusting layer blending.
• Use Select Color Range to make selections of precise colors or entire color ranges.
• Learn all about using Pixelmator Pro with easy to follow video and text tutorials on the new Tutorials page.
Improvements and Fixes:
• The Pixelmator Pro Help menu has been improved and now shows search results from the online user guide.
• When moving guides, their position will now be shown in the current ruler units rather than pixels.
• Dragging a guide while holding the Shift key will now snap the guide to each ruler tick mark.
• You can now Control-click a ruler to change its unit.
• Layer style presets will now be outlined when selected.
• You can now show or hide each of the buttons in the Pixelmator Pro toolbar.
• The Gradient Fill layer style now has an Angle option.
• When using the Arrange tool, choosing the Reset preset will now reset the rotation of text, shape, and group layers as well as image layers.
• You can now change layer opacity using the number keys when using the Style tool.
• Undoing an image size change would not restore layers to their previous positions. Fixed.
• When you select a layer in the canvas, the Layers sidebar will scroll to reveal it.
• Pressing and holding the Command key will now let you move layers while using the Free Selection tool.
• Using the Command key to move a layer while using the Paint tool would cause graphical glitches. Fixed.
• When editing individual paths within a shape, the position of any gradient fills will no longer change.
• It’s now easier to select other layers when having a layer selected within a layer group.
• In addition to Command-D, you can now press the Escape key to deselect a selection.
• Layer thumbnails would not update when moving a selected image area. Fixed.
• When using any shape tool, the add shape cursor would not appear if an existing shape was selected even when it was possible to draw a new shape. Fixed.
• The Zoom button in the toolbar would not update after moving a Pixelmator Pro window between Retina and non-Retina displays. Fixed.
• Moving a selected image area within a group would move the group instead of the selected area. Fixed.
• It was not possible to move, select, or draw new shapes while editing the gradient fill of an existing shape. Fixed.
• The Pen tool now draws much more precisely, especially when using a Magic Mouse.
• Start Drawing and Close Path now appear as options when control-clicking a point while editing an open vector path.
• It was not possible to change a layer’s rotation to below 0 degrees using the arrow buttons in the Arrange tool. Fixed.
• The accuracy of the Quick Selection tool’s live overlay has been improved by 1 to 2 pixels.
• Pinching to zoom in or out while the mouse was over a scrollbar would not work. Fixed.
• Editing multiple times in a row using the Soften and Sharpen tools with different Strength settings would not work correctly. Fixed.
• The Soften tool would not soften enough when zoomed in to over 100%.
• The quality of exported PDFs has been improved.
• On rare occasions, it would not be possible to edit certain areas of text layers. Fixed.
• The Photo Browser has been recoded to reduce loading times and prevent issues when Photos libraries would not load.
• The Reshape tools would not work on images over 4K with MacBook Pro models from 2016 and later. Fixed.
• Using the Paint tool with the Luminosity blending mode would produce random black pixels. Fixed.
• Layer masks in PSD files would sometimes be inverted. Fixed.
• Sometimes, it wouldn’t be possible to paint at the edges of very large selections (over 4000 pixels). Fixed.
• Text presets would be displayed incorrectly with large fonts and negative character spacing. Fixed.
• It was not possible to change the color of single text characters using the Type tool color picker. Fixed.
• Selecting multiple negatively spaced lines of text would create overlapped areas in the highlighted selection. Fixed.
• When filling an empty layer using the Color Fill tool with Sample All Layers turned on, edges would not be smoothed correctly. Fixed.
• The Auto Contrast and Auto Color options of the Curves and Levels tools now work faster.
• On rare occasions, ungrouping a layer group and undoing would cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly. Fixed.
• Undoing after painting would sometimes not be possible. Fixed.
• Refining a selection on a RAW layer would sometimes cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly. Fixed.
• Zooming and undoing at the same time would sometimes cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly. Fixed.
• Fixed an issue with using the Command key shortcut inside the Refine Selection tool that would sometimes cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly.
• Switching to the Paint tool while painting a Gradient Fill would sometimes cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly. Fixed.
• Added a few more fixes to improve the overall stability of Pixelmator Pro.
(Released on March 25, 2018)
Pixelmator Pro 1.0.9 includes a number of bug fixes and performance improvements.
• Shapes made up of multiple internal paths, such as certain letters converted into shapes, could not be made editable. Fixed.
• The performance of the color adjustments has been improved — some adjustments should now be up to four times faster.
• Fixed an issue that made it impossible to paint or erase straight lines by Shift-clicking.
• Certain advanced Typography features, such as ligatures and alternate glyphs, were not fully supported. They are now.
• The histogram and sliders of the Colors adjustment are now more accurate — to check out the changes, hold down the Option key to extend the range of the Hue and Brightness sliders.
• Layers duplicated by dragging while pressing and holding the Option key were not immediately snapping to other layers. Fixed.
• Undoing a color profile change in an image with color adjustments was not working correctly. Fixed.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes quit unexpectedly when deleting points from a path. Fixed.
• Attempting to cut part of a shape, some text, or a layer group using the shortcut menu in the Layers sidebar would cause the image to be displayed incorrectly — cutting these layers is not possible, so this option is now dimmed.
(Released on February 3, 2018)
Pixelmator Pro 1.0.8 features a number of under-the-hood fixes that improve performance and stability.
(Released on February 1, 2018)
Pixelmator Pro 1.0.7 includes a range of performance and stability improvements as well as a number of bug fixes.
• The inner workings of the selection tools have been redesigned, solving lots of issues that would make Pixelmator Pro stop responding.
• The Color Adjustments have been improved to work faster.
• You can now import color adjustment, effect, layer style, and text presets by dragging and dropping them onto the Pixelmator Pro icon in the Dock.
• EXIF data would be lost after saving to the Pixelmator Pro file format, then closing and reopening the image. Fixed.
• The White Balance color picker can now easily balance colors in extremely over- and under-exposed images.
• Image sizes in inches were displayed incorrectly in the Image Size dialog. Fixed.
• Reopening a Pixelmator Pro document would reset its PPI to 150. PPI will now be saved correctly with your Pixelmator Pro documents.
• The line height of text layers in imported PSD documents will now be preserved correctly.
• Number grouping separators will now be ignored in all number fields instead of resetting values.
• If the Pixelmator Pro tools were hidden, the brush settings shortcut menu for any brush-based tools would not appear when Control-clicking the canvas. Fixed.
• The Colors histogram would be shown with colors even if an image was fully desaturated using the Hue & Saturation adjustment. Fixed.
• Shapes would occasionally be drawn with no fills or strokes even if those styles were applied. Fixed.
• A whole bunch of fixes for a number of different issues that would make Pixelmator Pro quit unexpectedly. Everything should now be much more stable.
(Released on January 22, 2018)
Pixelmator Pro 1.0.6 adds custom aspect ratios and custom presets to the Crop tool and includes a range of other improvements and bug fixes.
• Use the Crop tool to crop with your own custom ratios.
• Create and save custom crop presets.
• The Type tool will now be highlighted when a text layer is selected.
• If no text is selected, clicking a text preset will now add a new text layer with the preset style applied.
• When using the Type tool’s Color Picker, pressing the Escape key will now close the Color Picker, as it should.
• Drag shapes from the Layers view to the Shapes palette to save them to your collection.
• The selection tools will now be highlighted if there is an active selection.
• A number of performance improvements make the selection tools faster and more reliable.
• You can now copy, cut, paste, and duplicate the components inside shapes.
• The Color Selection tool now works on layers with color adjustments.
• You can now hold down the Space bar to move selections while using the Rectangular and Elliptical selection tools.
Other improvements and bug fixes
• When exporting to JPEG, the more common .jpg extension will be used instead of .jpeg.
• The BMP and GIF formats have been added to the list of file formats you can export to.
• Pressing Command-I now toggles the Invert adjustment, instead of simply applying it.
• Dotted strokes now appear as they do in the original Pixelmator, improving compatibility with PXM files.
• When changing image and canvas size, guides would be repositioned incorrectly. Fixed.
• Certain fonts with high baselines would be clipped to the boundaries of text boxes. Fixed.
• Fixed an issue that would sometimes make it impossible to change the font of certain text layers.
• Applying a gradient to the layer mask of a text layer would only work at the second attempt. Fixed.
• Copying a text layer and pasting it inside another text layer would include unnecessary text. Fixed.
• Dragging and dropping RAW images into Pixelmator Pro now works faster.
• RAW layers imported via drag and drop would sometimes have incorrect layer handles. Fixed.
• Fixed an issue that would cause imported layers with transparent areas to be displayed incorrectly.
• When using the Paint tool in images with advanced color profiles, the colors in the Colors window would not match up with colors in the image. Fixed.
• Painting on an empty layer and moving a section of it would change the color of the painted areas. Fixed.
• The position of gradient fills would shift after converting text into a shape. Fixed.
• Trimming the canvas according to the color of the top left and bottom right pixels now works correctly.
• Undo steps would sometimes disappear when creating selections. Fixed.
• The Color Fill pop-up menu now correctly shows the selected blending mode.
• Occasionally, it would not be possible to save images if the Image fill effect was applied. Fixed.
• The fills of resized shapes will now be preserved more accurately.
• When using the Fill layer style on very small layers, the fill would sometimes disappear. Fixed.
• Several improvements fix flickering and positioning issues when editing shapes.
• The canvas would sometimes jump after resetting changes made with the Crop tool. Fixed.
• When exporting JPEG images without a specified color profile, one would be attached anyway. Fixed.
• If the preference for importing JPEG, PNG, and TIFF images w as disabled, images opened via File > New from Photos would cause Pixelmator Pro to stop responding when saving. Fixed.
• Combining effects like Affine and Op Tile would sometimes produce infinite images and cause Pixelmator Pro to stop responding. Fixed.
• A number of fixes improve the stability of various tools that use gradients.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes stop responding after moving the app from a Retina to a non-Retina display. Fixed.
(Released on December 15, 2017)
This update includes a number of performance improvements and bug fixes.
• The speed of the painting tools has been improved — your first brushstroke should now be much faster.
• You can now import brushes from the original Pixelmator.
• When you drag and drop a layer to add it your image, it will now be added above your selected layer and not at the top of the layer stack.
• You can now export images to JPEG-2000 format.
• Fixed a number of cases that would make Pixelmator Pro stop responding when using the painting tools.
• You can now use the Command-J and Command-Shift-J keyboard shortcuts to copy/cut and paste selections as layers.
• Graphical artifacts would sometimes appear after repairing with the Repair tool. Fixed.
• When reverting to an earlier version of your image, the background color would sometimes be incorrect. Fixed.
• The colors of images exported to PSD would be incorrect when opened in Final Cut Pro X. Fixed.
• The horizontal edges of objects would snap to the grid incorrectly. Fixed.
• When flipping an object, its position will now be preserved more accurately.
• Merged layers will now be named after the top layer.
• Various fixes improve dragging and dropping shapes and paths.
• The option in Pixelmator Pro preferences for importing images or opening in the native format is now much more descriptive.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes stop responding when changing the color of a text layer. Fixed.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes stop responding when quickly switching to and from the Crop tool. Fixed.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes stop responding when resetting a selection. Fixed.
• Several related fixes make Pixelmator Pro less likely to quit unexpectedly.
(Released on December 9, 2017)
This update includes a number of bug fixes and stability improvements.
• The last used Layers view will now be used for all new images.
• You can now press the Space bar to use the Hand tool while making selections with Free, Polygonal, and Magnetic Selection tools.
• The Unite, Subtract, Intersect, and Exclude buttons for editing vector shapes are now available when using the Arrange tool.
• Copy Style, Paste Style, Unite Shapes, Subtract Shapes, Intersect Shapes, and Merge Shape Components are now available in the Layers view shortcut menu.
• You can now press Command-Option-A to select all the layers in an image.
• The performance of the painting tools has been improved. Brushes like Varnish should now be much faster, more improvements are also coming.
• You can now undo guide movements.
• Several related fixes improve the reliability of cursors.
• Edit > Cut will now clear selected areas.
• Canvas Size will now work with negative values when Relative is selected.
• When exporting presets using the preset shortcut menu, only a single preset will be exported.
• The Color Fill tool color picker will now be canceled if you press the Escape key.
• Trim Canvas will now work correctly with masked layers.
• Document PPI will now be preserved when saving.
• Fixed an issue that caused Pixelmator Pro to stop responding when resizing the canvas with an active selection.
• The Grid will now be displayed correctly with all PPI settings.
• Hidden layers will no longer become visible when merging.
• The template chooser will now show template details by default.
• The Open Recent menu will no longer show nonexistent images.
• Your scanned images will now be imported once a scan has been completed.
• A range of additional stability fixes and improvements.
(Released on December 2, 2017)
• Fixed an issue that prevented using units other than pixels when changing canvas size.
• Pressing the Command-A keyboard shortcut will now select text in text fields and dialogs if they are active, instead of the entire canvas.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes quit unexpectedly when removing a layer while editing effects applied to it. Fixed.
• Fixed an issue that caused Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly when selecting brush presets.
• If the stroke layer style failed to appear when selected, Pixelmator Pro would sometimes quit unexpectedly. Fixed.
• Using the Color Fill tool on an empty layer with preserve transparency enabled would cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly. Fixed.
• Fixed several related issues that would cause Pixelmator Pro to stop responding while painting.
• Fixed several issues that would cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly while opening PSD files.
• Improved the overall stability of the Arrange tool.
(Released on November 30, 2017)
• When combining a large number of vector shapes, these would sometimes be merged incorrectly. Fixed.
• Layers would sometimes become blurry when flipping them vertically or horizontally after increasing their size. Fixed.
• Several fixes for painting on layer masks and undoing changes after editing layer masks.
• The colors of objects copied from images in one color space to images in another were managed incorrectly. Fixed.
• The Color Fill and Gradient Fill tools would not fill precise colors when an image was assigned a different color space. Fixed.
• Fill layer styles with transparent color stops were not being blended correctly with layers. Fixed.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes quit unexpectedly when applying gradients to an empty layer. Fixed.
• Moving a selection outside the canvas would sometimes cause Pixelmator Pro to quit expectedly. Fixed.
• Converting a text layer into pixels would sometimes cause Pixelmator Pro to quit unexpectedly. Fixed.
• Several fixes for exporting 16-bit PXD documents to PSD.
• When attempting to select a layer with an empty layer mask, the wrong layer would sometimes be selected. Fixed.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes quit unexpectedly when painting on a resized layer. Fixed.
• Several fixes for crashes when opening PSD files.
• Several fixes for crashes when editing text.
(Released on November 29, 2017)
This update adds several new localizations as well as a number of performance improvements and bug fixes.
• Pixelmator Pro now speaks French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Korean.
• A range of performance improvements speeds up moving layers, zooming, and opening images. Opening images is now up to 6 times faster in some cases.
• The Colors histogram now displays colors based on the total size of objects rather than the amount of pure color.
• Color adjustment previews are now much sharper.
• When saving an image while applying color adjustments to an active selection, the adjustments would be discarded. Fixed.
• The Magnetic Selection tool is now more precise.
• Improved selection smoothing when copying and pasting selections.
• Selections with transparent areas would sometimes be shifted when copying and pasting.
• The Select Color tool is now much faster when zooming.
• Layers would sometimes move slightly when selecting them using the Arrange, Text, or Shape tools. Fixed.
• Completely masked layer areas will no longer be automatically selected if they’re not visible in the image.
• Using the Style and other tools, it was possible to select hidden layers by clicking in the image. Now, you should only be able to select them in the Layers view.
• When using the Arrange tool with Auto Select turned off, you needed to drag inside a layer to move it. Now you can also drag outside the active layer to move it.
• Converting the bit depth of an image would not always work reliably. It does now.
• Changing the color profile of an image would sometimes not work. It does now.
• Undoing changes after resizing text layers would sometimes not work. Fixed.
• The Constrain Proportions option would sometimes be deselected for layers when saving a Pixelmator Pro document.
• The compression option would be ignored when exporting 16-bit TIFF images. 16-bit TIFF images will now be compressed.
• You can now choose to export images with 8-bit or 16-bit color depth.
• Horizontal lines would sometimes appear on Mac computers with Radeon graphics cards. Fixed.
• When exporting to JPEG, there was an option to save with 16-bit color depth. JPEG does not support that, so that option has been removed.
• When exporting to PNG, it was possible to choose CMYK as the color profile. PNG files do not support CMYK profiles, so this has been removed.
• Pixelmator Pro would sometimes quit unexpectedly when closing documents. Fixed
• When resetting all brush collections to default, these would sometimes not be updated in all files. Fixed.
• Many other improvements, including a number of crash fixes.
(Released on November 29, 2017)
The very first version of Pixelmator Pro.
A clean and refined interface simplifies image editing.Learn more
Create and edit images nondestructively.Learn more
Powerful color adjustments and full, native RAW support.Learn more
An increadibly fluid painting experience and over hundred handcrafted brushes.Learn more
Machine learning powers automatic layer naming, horizon detection, and more.Learn more
Pixelmator Pro includes many more incredible tools and features.