Best practices for downsizing images

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2024-03-26 16:51:54

Hello,
I have a pile of photos that were inadvertently scanned for me at 2400 dpi. I have the TIFFs and JPEGs (all 2400 dpi; big files). I'd like to batch convert the JPEGs down to 600 dpi. Is this a standard image scaling task or is there a specific way to do this when you just want to downres so there isn't any interpolation? Ideally I'd like a workflow for this so I don't have to do them one at a time. Thank you!

2024-04-05 16:44:53

On macOS Sonoma I made a Quick Action in the Shortcuts app using the Pixelmator Pro "Resize" premade Action. With this I can select the files of interest in Finder, right click, and use the shortcut I made under Quick Actions. Search for the YouTube tutorial Pixelmator made on using the Shortcuts app for guidance.

Also, for the record, I was confusing dpi with pixel count. The images were huge, having been scanned at 2400 dpi, but I was looking to reduce the pixel count by a factor of 4 in each dimension. So resizing to 25% (I used the JPGs as sources and Lanczos resampling) worked a treat.