brush paints fill on wrong layer

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2023-10-23 23:54:03

I'm trying to learn Pixelmator Pro after MacOS update to Sonoma killed Classic, and a problem I'm running into repeatedly is when I do a option-delete fill on a selected region of an image layer using the Paint tool, it will often paint the fill of a shape in an entirely unrelated layer. Like, why?? This also sometimes happens when I apply a color to a couple of characters in a text block.

2023-10-25 15:57:31

by Jacque I'm trying to learn Pixelmator Pro after MacOS update to Sonoma killed Classic, and a problem I'm running into repeatedly is when I do a option-delete fill on a selected region of an image layer using the Paint tool, it will often paint the fill of a shape in an entirely unrelated layer. Like, why?? This also sometimes happens when I apply a color to a couple of characters in a text block.
I have also been frustrated, over the years, that text blocks cannot change some of the letters/words to a different color - it changes them all. I usually have to convert them to shapes, or overlay them with copied text or shapes to apply a different color. I also find it frustrating that I sometimes have to lock layers to avoid them being accidentally selected and colored of filled/stroked differently by accident. I attribute those times as "operator error". Thank God for ⌘Z. And I didn't realize that classic Pixelmator is gone 'till you mentioned it - good to learn "Pro" though you can always use the "Classic" version on your Mac.

2023-10-26 05:16:32

@mccoytest I would love to go back to using Classic. Unfortunately the MacOS upgrade to Sonoma killed it completely. It won't even open now.

The I've had the problem you're describing above (of color applying to the whole text block) happen when I forget to select the specific text within the block I want to color. I think what's going on there is that it applies it as a fill style rather than just a text color. (Assuming I'm understanding you correctly.)

2023-10-26 14:02:49

I have been on sonoma for some time. I just fired up classic without a problem. Don't remember how to do much with it, but it works fine. Studio Apple M1 Max, 32 GB, Sonoma 14.0 - I did notice that Classic was not in the App Store anymore. If you have TimeMachine copies - first, change the name of the original you have now - and recover from before Sonoma.

2023-10-26 15:14:51

Huh. I wonder what you're doing differently? I still have it in my Applications folder. I just tried it, and it happily opened the "Welcome to Pixelmator" screen, but the minute I got to trying to open an actual .pxm file, it just winked out and displayed a crash report. This is consistent with the behavior I've been getting since I updated to Sonoma.

How long have you been using Sonoma? I ran the update as soon as I got the notice on Sept 27.

2023-10-26 15:20:00

by mccoytest
I have also been frustrated, over the years, that text blocks cannot change some of the letters/words to a different color - it changes them all.
When you go to apply a spot color, do you click into the text block, select the word(s) you want to color, and then apply the color? Does the color apply to the whole text block if you do that? If I do that, it will quite happily apply the color to the word or letters I have specifically selected. Image

It just occurred to me that we may be working on different devices. I'm on a Macbook Pro of 2019 vintage.

2023-10-26 15:29:08

Okay, and see here, this is what I'm talking about. I changed the spot color on that selected text, but Pxm ALSO changed the fill color on this (entirely unrelated, in an entirely different part of the image). This doesn't always happen when apply a font color, but often enough that it's REALLY F'N IRRITATING. If I spot it soon enough, a single undo will put the shape back to its previous fill color. But it makes no sense at all to me that this is happening in the first place. Image

2023-10-26 16:09:39

Well, this ( Pixelmator Pro Version 3.4.3 (Camelot) ) has other text related bugs reported.
(i.e.; viewtopic.php?t=24220 ) So add this one to the mix.

2023-10-26 21:36:55

Added to that thread, thanks.