Photomator update coming with full support for HDR content on new iPhone 15

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2023-09-25 15:07:34

We've got some very exciting news — Photomator will be one of the first apps to fully support HDR on iPhone 15! 🚀

Take a sneak peek at HDR support on our blog.

2023-09-25 16:31:57

Amazing news!
I saw that the display of the iphone 14 pro has the same specifications:

1000 nits maximum brightness (typical); 1600 nits peak brightness (HDR); 2000 nits peak brightness (outdoor)

Will this feature also come for the 14 Pro model?

2023-09-25 19:36:28

Very exciting. I would love to read some further documentation on HDR support. Some questions I have:

- What does this mean for older phones? I have an iPhone 12 that supports HDR, but probably not to the same degree as the new 15 displays. Are older devices supported in some fashion or left out of the party?

- How does HDR editing work with non iPhone photos (if at all)? Does the dynamic range of photos taken on other cameras get converted to HDR? If so, does it matter if you shoot in RAW or jpeg?

- What considerations are there if you plan to make prints from an HDR photo? E.g. is it better to edit in SDR if the final destination is print?

2023-09-26 09:05:00

by ManuelBabo Will this feature also come for the 14 Pro model?
iPhone 14 Pro definitely has a great display and will get HDR support too! :nerd:
by nigelw What does this mean for older phones? I have an iPhone 12 that supports HDR, but probably not to the same degree as the new 15 displays. Are older devices supported in some fashion or left out of the party?
We're working on getting older devices supported. Rigth now, we're conducting tests to ensure older models like the iPhone 12 deliver the best possible HDR experience. Everyone's invited to the HDR party! :party_face:
How does HDR editing work with non iPhone photos (if at all)? Does the dynamic range of photos taken on other cameras get converted to HDR? If so, does it matter if you shoot in RAW or jpeg?
Even if you don't take photos on an iPhone, you'll be able to take advantage of the HDR support. Of course, RAW or ProRAW photos will give you the best editing experience, but we're working hard to make sure all your photos will look amazing in HDR.
What considerations are there if you plan to make prints from an HDR photo? E.g. is it better to edit in SDR if the final destination is print?
For prints, it's generally best to edit in SDR. However, we're working on a feature will let you preview HDR photos in SDR. This way, you'll have more flexibility and control over the photo editing process and make sure your printed photos look just as good as they do on the screen.

2023-09-26 16:23:44

As HDR lover, I really looking forward!
Always joy to edit with your app. :blush: UI is industry leading class, ML features are super powerful, and now with layer&brush support!

Just one question:
I heard that even when you take HEIF photo with iPhone, still phone takes some HDR layer with it.
(not smart "hdr" thing, but real HDR information!)

Does it also supported by upcoming HDR update?
I also heard those layer's resolution doesn't match actual HEIF file(but much lower), so I can fully understand if you guys do not support, but it will be super cool if you do!

2023-09-27 14:05:15

by Pixie Birdy As HDR lover, I really looking forward!
Always joy to edit with your app. :blush: UI is industry leading class, ML features are super powerful, and now with layer&brush support!

Just one question:
I heard that even when you take HEIF photo with iPhone, still phone takes some HDR layer with it.
(not smart "hdr" thing, but real HDR information!)

Does it also supported by upcoming HDR update?
I also heard those layer's resolution doesn't match actual HEIF file(but much lower), so I can fully understand if you guys do not support, but it will be super cool if you do!
We're super excited, too! We believe it's going to be a true game-changer in photo editing. :muscle: The HDR data in HEIF photos you are referring to is called HDR gain map and we will support Apple's gain map implementation to display, edit, and save photos in Photomator. :raised_hands:

2023-09-27 22:09:32

by Aurelija
We're super excited, too! We believe it's going to be a true game-changer in photo editing. :muscle: The HDR data in HEIF photos you are referring to is called HDR gain map and we will support Apple's gain map implementation to display, edit, and save photos in Photomator. :raised_hands:
Wow, really didn't expect that! Despite I love editing proraw images with Photomator, I know heif is more than enough for most people, so those support will really mean to many users, not just professionals. I appreciate your teams and hard work.

2023-09-30 01:51:33

几天已经过去了,即将支持大概是什么时候呀

2023-10-01 16:16:05

Awesome stuff! Keep up the good work!

2023-10-02 09:21:51

by 294790756@qq.com 几天已经过去了,即将支持大概是什么时候呀
It's coming later this month. 😇
by Juhani Awesome stuff! Keep up the good work!
by Pixie Birdy
Wow, really didn't expect that! Despite I love editing proraw images with Photomator, I know heif is more than enough for most people, so those support will really mean to many users, not just professionals. I appreciate your teams and hard work.
Happy to see your enthusiasm! Your support means a lot. ❤️

2023-10-04 00:40:54

by Samanta

Happy to see your enthusiasm! Your support means a lot. ❤️
克隆工具也是即将到来,请问还需要等待多久呢?

2023-10-15 13:18:56

lightroom 移动端,桌面端都支持HDR的图片编辑以及输出了,可以输出avif、jxl、以及带Gain map的jpg,支持RAW,HDR heif,avif,jxl,heic,png,jpg的导入,在手机端编辑HDR图片更方便了。希望photomator也可以尽快推出对应的功能,也支持上述功能,并且考虑多添加一项输出带gain map的heic.

2023-10-25 23:59:54

by Samanta
Will we get this update soon? It’s almost the end of this month
Can’t wait to try this feature out on my iPhone!

2023-10-27 09:35:30

by duckbill360
Will we get this update soon? It’s almost the end of this month
Can’t wait to try this feature out on my iPhone!
Perhaps I spoke too hastily when I said that we'd have HDR ready by the end of October. 😅 Given the extensive scope of the project, we now anticipate wrapping it up a few weeks later than initially expected. However, I can assure you that currently, we're working full-time to launch HDR on Mac, iPhone, and iPad, and to launch files browser support on Mac.

2023-10-30 11:36:30

by Samanta
Perhaps I spoke too hastily when I said that we'd have HDR ready by the end of October. 😅 Given the extensive scope of the project, we now anticipate wrapping it up a few weeks later than initially expected. However, I can assure you that currently, we're working full-time to launch HDR on Mac, iPhone, and iPad, and to launch files browser support on Mac.
Hi,

when is the update coming?

2023-11-04 14:09:38

by Samanta
I hope HDR and file browser support will not be the only things coming in the next update. More items that are listed on the roadmap would be nice. I guess I'm dreaming but face editing, dehaze or image sorting and rating, any of those from the roadmap would be more useful, for me at least. 😅

To be honest, the most requested HDR related feature on the forum is merging of different exposure images. But from what I understand the HDR support in Pixelmator/Photomator that is being talked about here in this blog post has nothing to do with HDR bracketing right? That will still not be possible.

2023-11-05 02:25:32

by denisbkk To be honest, the most requested HDR related feature on the forum is merging of different exposure images. But from what I understand the HDR support in Pixelmator/Photomator that is being talked about here in this blog post has nothing to do with HDR bracketing right? That will still not be possible.
The HDR talked about is not bracketing. It more akin to HDR video, where you can get more than 100 nits of light brightness range that normal SDR does. Like the sun would appear brighter compared to a white over exposed surface, even though both are white and over exposed. A SDR image would display both as just the same brightness. The iPhone since i believe the 7 have been taking pictures and adding this HDR brightness map to the images than can be displayed in HDR displays like the current mac book pros, and oled iPads and iPhones. when you see it, you will understand it.

2023-11-05 09:47:38

by Lostless
The HDR talked about is not bracketing. It more akin to HDR video, where you can get more than 100 nits of light brightness range that normal SDR does. Like the sun would appear brighter compared to a white over exposed surface, even though both are white and over exposed. A SDR image would display both as just the same brightness. The iPhone since i believe the 7 have been taking pictures and adding this HDR brightness map to the images than can be displayed in HDR displays like the current mac book pros, and oled iPads and iPhones. when you see it, you will understand it.
Yep, I got that now. I have an iphone also so I know how these photos or videos look like. But I think it is really niche feature at this point. Photomator doesn't even support merging of different exposures to a HDR image yet. That could have been done by now. And that has been requested for a long time as that is how all Sony, Nikon, Canon etc cameras will let you do it.

So I just mean, cool if they can implement this HDR feature next....but I hope that will not be the only thing in the next update as it is a niche feature. I hope they have also been working on some stuff on the axctual roadmap or that have been mentioned on the forum since a long time. There are some basic things still missing in Photomator that I think should be done before doing features that only a handful of people will be using.

2023-11-06 14:03:03

In the Canon cameras the HDR they talk about here is called "HDR PQ" and you are correct, this is different than HDR Merge or bracketed pictures. I think what they do is useful, but I also would like to see HDR Merge implemented. They serve different purposes. Lightroom does the merge already. No need to be too fancy on the merge feature, a good tone mapping youd a good starting point.

2023-11-15 05:08:29

is there a testflight for pixelmator available?

2023-11-17 15:50:13

by ResLes
Hi,
when is the update coming?
I guess we can now more confidently say that it's coming this month. :muscle:
Photomator doesn’t even support merging of different exposures to a HDR image yet.
With the latest tech in cameras, HDR merging is no longer as essential as it once was and is increasingly seen as more of a specialized workflow. Modern HDR support, combined with larger sensors and advanced image processing methods like ApplePro RAW, has made it less necessary to blend multiple images for high-quality HDR results. It's all getting simpler and more straightforward. We understand, however, that HDR editing is still evolving and that a considerable number of users rely on HDR merging, and we definitely aren't denying the possibility of adding it some day. However, it's not our primary focus right now.
by Stev Nicholas is there a testflight for pixelmator available?
We don't currently have a beta version available for testing, but the official update for Pixelmator should be hitting the App Store very soon. You'll be able to download it from there and test out full HDR support. :party_face:

2023-11-17 17:06:17

apple pro raw is mobile phone tech though. that is nothing to do with professional cameras. So how are we going to used hdr with a sony camera for example that does bracketing. It seems to be a feature for phones now but not for pro cameras.

2023-11-20 02:15:42

Will this HDR functionality also come to Pixelmator Pro ?

2023-11-20 02:52:54

As a fan of HDR, I'm very excited!
scratch games

2023-11-20 18:08:00

by denisbkk apple pro raw is mobile phone tech though. that is nothing to do with professional cameras. So how are we going to used hdr with a sony camera for example that does bracketing. It seems to be a feature for phones now but not for pro cameras.
I don't know for Sony, but canon R series camera all support HDR PQ, which is the same form of HDR used in iPhones. So that tech is not specific to phones. Images are saved in the HEIF/HIEC format