Lower resolution in Apple Photos after modification?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-09-05 14:23:09

When I modify a photo in Photomator and then view it in Apple Photos, it looks like this reduces the shown resolution of the edited image.

To see this:
1) In Apple Photos, have a ProRAW image.
2) In Photomator, edit this image, then confirm and modify the image.
3) Export the image from Photomator (e.g. into JPEG)
4) Export the image from Apple Photos (e.g. into JPEG)
5) Compare the two exported JPEGs by zooming in. The resolution on the image exported from Apple Photos will appear to be much worse.

The resolution is correct when exporting the modified image from Photomator, or exporting an image from Apple Photos that was not modified in Photomator.

The issue appears to be non-destructive. I can export the unmodified DNG and the resolution is correct. However, I cannot view, or export, the correct resolution of the modified image from Apple Photos.

2023-10-21 13:34:50

I am guessing here. In Photomator in the setting the is a quality slider that sets the quality of the JPEG generated after edits. I moved mine all the way to 100% but by default it is lower. I don't think that changes the resolution, only the amount of compression applied. What will reduce the resolution is if you do some cropping of the image, obviously.

2023-10-22 10:28:09

This is not exactly same as you describe but seems related:

I have noticed that in Photomator when editing images the images often not shows up in full quality (when still editing and I did not click "Done" yet. )

Sometimes I have the feeling the image looks unsharp in Photomator for example, even when it shouldn't. But after clicking "Done" or exporting it is all OK. It is irritating sometimes when editing as I can't see 100% where I am at.