Problem with Sky masks and chromatic abberation

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-07-29 13:13:06

Hi Photomator team. I have read another post on this forum about fixing chromatic abberation from about 2-3 years ago where you mentioned this was not on your roadmap yet.

I've come across a problem with the masking tool that is due to chromatic abberation and I'm wondering why this is not fixable in Photomator?

For city skyline photos, I often get CA around the building edges. Now when you apply a skymask and then pulling down the exposure, I immediately see white lines around every building from the CA.

I do not call myself a pro photographer, but even for me this is not really an acceptable look. Here is an image to show how this looks:

https://imgur.com/a/fdsO087

Question:

To pixelmator team: When are you planning to have lens corrections / CA correction in Photomator (or Pixelmator Pro). If this is limiting the masking feature like this, wouldn't it make sense to let us fix these problems? I mean you can say its not on the roadmap but how do you get around this problem when using the existing masking tool?

And to other users: What is your workflow to get around this? I mean fixing CA in another software is not really a good workflow. Then you export as tiff and then import in Photomator? No thank you to that workflow. But if there is another one that I haven;t thought about, please share it!

2023-07-31 08:32:52

by denisbkk Hi Photomator team. I have read another post on this forum about fixing chromatic abberation from about 2-3 years ago where you mentioned this was not on your roadmap yet.

I've come across a problem with the masking tool that is due to chromatic abberation and I'm wondering why this is not fixable in Photomator?

For city skyline photos, I often get CA around the building edges. Now when you apply a skymask and then pulling down the exposure, I immediately see white lines around every building from the CA.

I do not call myself a pro photographer, but even for me this is not really an acceptable look. Here is an image to show how this looks:

https://imgur.com/a/fdsO087

Question:

To pixelmator team: When are you planning to have lens corrections / CA correction in Photomator (or Pixelmator Pro). If this is limiting the masking feature like this, wouldn't it make sense to let us fix these problems? I mean you can say its not on the roadmap but how do you get around this problem when using the existing masking tool?

And to other users: What is your workflow to get around this? I mean fixing CA in another software is not really a good workflow. Then you export as tiff and then import in Photomator? No thank you to that workflow. But if there is another one that I haven;t thought about, please share it!
Thanks for reaching out! The development team would like to take a closer look at your problem. Could you send us this or any other photo that has the problem exported as .PHOTO? This way we could see which color adjustments and masks you applied that ended up with this result. If you're okay with that, send the sample photos at support@pixelmator.com 🙏

2023-08-08 06:32:32

I piggybacked on your post and sent a photo too....

Hope we'll get a solution

2023-08-08 07:23:50

by Frank Lehnen I piggybacked on your post and sent a photo too....

Hope we'll get a solution
I sent some photos to support last week. Let's see what they say. I also noticed in the meantime it does not only happen with images that have CA. Seems to happen with others a well.

2023-08-08 07:25:46

In fact it's rather an artifact from masking as I see it, not CA!

CA is normally color fringe, not white. This is the edge of the sharpening mask appearing in white.