Please don't change file name when saving to Photos

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Photo?

2023-06-19 08:25:44

On the iPad, when saving to Photos via the share icon, the file's name is modified. If I make new changes to the picture and share and again, the new version has a completely different file name.

This is annoying as like many I give each photo a unique name, based on the date, so that it is easy to locate. Because of iCloud issues, data and other reasons, I keep the raw files backed-up on an external drive, with only jpegs in Photos. By changing the file name, Photomator makes it extremely difficult to locate the orignal raw file.

If I export to files, the file name is respected. It's a cumbersome workaround; I would like to avoid it.

Please could you let me know if this is a deliberate behaviour?

2023-07-12 15:20:40

Not sure what you’re getting there? I’ve just tried this here, using an iPad Pro 2020, and I still see the original file name in Photos, but saved as a JPEG instead of the original Raw.

OK, I see now, I’ve had a look at the EXIF data in HashPhotos and yes, you can see that it’s created its own filename (it shows “Filename img_xxxx.jpg, and also shows “Original Filename DSC_xxxx.NEF - or whatever you were using). Looks like they’re probably just sequential as created from Photomator.

Just to foggy that a bit more, internally Photos also adds it’s own (very long and gobbledygook) filename for using in its own database.

Not sure, but I would suspect this is to workaround some kind of limitation Apple has with interacting with third party apps. Or indeed to prevent using identical file names for different files.

2023-08-08 08:06:15

I suspect you're right - but Raw Power has found a way of doing it: if I save from Raw Power to Photos, the file name stays the one I've given the photo. If I save multiple copies, it adds a file number in brackets as Apple does in other instances. (eg pages or word files)

This is important to me as on import I change file names to date to ensure I can find my photographs in the future.

Eg: If I save two copies of the file I have named "230808 img 1", the second file imported from Raw Power becomes "230808 img 1 (1)"

2023-09-27 08:08:05

Based on the behavior you described, it does seem like the iPad Photos app is deliberately changing the filenames when saving images from other apps like Photomator via the share sheet. A few reasons this could be happening:

- Photos organizes images into its own structured library, so it likely ignores original filenames to avoid duplicates.

- The Files integration is still relatively new, so the Photos app may prioritize its own organization over filesystem conventions.

- It needs to ensure unique filenames within its library, so even small edits require a new name.

- Apple may prefer opaque, system-managed filenames to give users a simplified, organized photo library.

Unfortunately, there is likely no setting to disable this renaming behavior currently. Some potential workarounds:

- As you mentioned, export back out to Files before sharing to Photos.

- Use a dedicated camera roll app that respects original filenames like Keep Photos.

- Manually change filenames back after sharing to Photos. Tedious but maintains links.

- Use a separate DAM app like Lightroom that skips Photos entirely.

Hopefully Apple adds an option to maintain filenames on Photos import in a future update. For now, exporting through the Files app before sharing seems to be the simplest workaround. Let me know if you have any other questions!

--geometry dash--