Was it really necessary?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-06-09 12:37:22

My question would be is there anything that Photomator does that can't be done with Pixelmator Pro?
Isn't Photomator just a cut-down version of Pixelmator Pro, with a subset of its tools?
Can't I retouch the brightness, the colors, the composition of any image in Pixelmator Pro?

If the intention is to créate an app that allows access to retouching tools only, in a more agile and simple way, without the creativity or design tools of Pixelmator Pro, shouldn't it be cheaper?
It is hard to understand why Photomator is more expensive than Pixelmator Pro.

Just an opinión. Thanks.

2023-06-10 14:49:58

I believe (and I am not employed by the developer so this is just my personal opinion) is that Photomator started out as an app designed for phones and tablets, to be simpler than Pixelmator Pro and aimed at people who are into mobile photography but don't want to work on their Mac or with more involved programs (like Lightroom) but wish something "better" than Apple Photos. Perhaps the Mac version of Photomator was a secondary idea - but again for people who wish to do their processing on their Mac like me but want something a step above Photos. (BTW I have Pixelmator Pro - upgraded from the original Pixelmator - because I refused Adobe's subscription model/costs but I probably don't use more than 5% of what the program is capable of. So that is my interest in Photomator even though I already have and paid for a lifetime license for Pixelmator Pro.)

2023-06-12 12:25:48

by pcanal My question would be is there anything that Photomator does that can't be done with Pixelmator Pro?
Isn't Photomator just a cut-down version of Pixelmator Pro, with a subset of its tools?
Can't I retouch the brightness, the colors, the composition of any image in Pixelmator Pro?

If the intention is to créate an app that allows access to retouching tools only, in a more agile and simple way, without the creativity or design tools of Pixelmator Pro, shouldn't it be cheaper?

Just an opinión. Thanks.
Indeed, as Swandy puts it, Photomator takes photo editing a step above Apple Photos. While you can certainly tweak colors in Pixelmator Pro, Photomator comes as a more convenient choice if you frequently edit a large number of photos. Its ease of navigation across a large number of photos and the ability to batch-edit them, including creating your own batch-editing workflows, are some of the key features that come to mind.

2023-06-12 15:52:17

I understand what you are saying, and also what it says Swandy.
I accept that batch retouching is a feature that may come to justify a new application (although it could also be a feature of Pixelmator Pro, as well as a powerful catalog).

What I was trying to reflect on is whether Photomator should be more expensive than Pixelmator Pro.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

2023-06-26 20:36:57

by pcanal I understand what you are saying, and also what it says Swandy.
I accept that batch retouching is a feature that may come to justify a new application (although it could also be a feature of Pixelmator Pro, as well as a powerful catalog).

What I was trying to reflect on is whether Photomator should be more expensive than Pixelmator Pro.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.
Can't comment on the company's "pricing structure". Perhaps because the lifetime license to Photomator gives you access to all three versions of the app (macOS, iOS and iPadOS) went into their pricing decisions because Pixelmator Pro as far as I know only works on macOS?

2023-07-04 13:24:00

by Samanta
Indeed, as Swandy puts it, Photomator takes photo editing a step above Apple Photos. While you can certainly tweak colors in Pixelmator Pro, Photomator comes as a more convenient choice if you frequently edit a large number of photos. Its ease of navigation across a large number of photos and the ability to batch-edit them, including creating your own batch-editing workflows, are some of the key features that come to mind.
One thing I find more difficult than using a single app is subject selection. You guys put some nice selection tools in Photomator, like selecting the Background but if I want to edit the mask I have to move over to Pixelmator Pro where the masks are "refinable."

Why are those selections tools not in PRO?

2023-07-11 02:38:07

by pcanal My question would be is there anything that Photomator does that can't be done with Pixelmator Pro?

Just an opinión. Thanks.
Pixelmator Pro does do the editing part but the integration into Photos takes it to another level if that is what you want or need.

For me I have always wanted something that directly integrates with the Apple ecosystem. I used Aperture then was forced to move to Lightroom. I have 2TB of images that I store in Adobe's cloud but when I look at my photos on my phone or Apple TV I have to go to the specific Adobe app rather than enjoy all the perks of it just being integrated into the Apple ecosystem.

I also already pay for 2TB of iCloud storage and then repay again for another 2TB to Adobe to save my images there. I just want a singular place where I can edit for image and store them in iCloud so they are available to me everywhere. Capture One and Adobe both decided to create their own cloud systems rather than just integrating with what exists - of course to make money on that storage.

Photomator almost suits my needs for editing (still not quite up to Lightroom's level) and I will keep using it and hopefully it gets better over time to the point where I can finally have everything in one place.

2023-07-13 23:23:01

by Lysander
One thing I find more difficult than using a single app is subject selection. You guys put some nice selection tools in Photomator, like selecting the Background but if I want to edit the mask I have to move over to Pixelmator Pro where the masks are "refinable."

Why are those selections tools not in PRO?
I am looking forward to waiting for the answer to this question - I don't have Pixelmator Pro so I currently use Snapseed for masking.