Photomator 3.0 a bit buggy on an iPad Pro

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-05-17 16:06:08

I've been trying out the latest Photomator 3.0 on my 2020 iPad Pro, and most of it's still working fine, except for a couple of things.

It's definitely a bit more 'crashy'! After editing, and returning to the grid it crashes before showing the grid. Works OK for a few more images after reopening though.

Non-Destructive editing is not being saved when using local storage on an iPad.

However...

You seem to have the option for saving to iCloud or local in two places, and they do not sync their settings - so in the app, you can select or deselect 'Use iCloud', but in the main Settings panel, it can still show the selection as either 'iCloud Drive' or 'On My iPad' independently, and be opposite to the app setting.

So, if I make sure that both are set for 'On My iPad', and of course make the non-destructive editing setting is on, then no sidecar file is saved at all, and I cannot re-visit the edits, it just shows an edit preview with no previous edits showing.

If I set both settings to use iCloud Drive, then it does save the non-destructive editing data and sidecar files.

The reason I prefer the local saving is that the iCloud version of the sidecar files are huge (anything up to 200MB from a 25MB Raw file), and of course get automatically synced to my iCloud storage. The locally stored files are much smaller (can be into KBs), and I tend to delete them after I've finished editing a batch of images, once I'm happy that I'm done with them.

Apart from those, it's still a great app, and I'm very happy with my grandfathered purchase.

Cheers

2023-05-18 00:37:40

by Andy Hewitt
The reason I prefer the local saving is that the iCloud version of the sidecar files are huge (anything up to 200MB from a 25MB Raw file), and of course get automatically synced to my iCloud storage. The locally stored files are much smaller (can be into KBs), and I tend to delete them after I've finished editing a batch of images, once I'm happy that I'm done with them.

Apart from those, it's still a great app, and I'm very happy with my grandfathered purchase.

Cheers
I can confirm that and I really can't understand why those sidecars in iCloud are so huge comparing with local sidecars.

2023-05-18 06:27:11

Cheers.

I can also note that the 3.0.1 update yesterday, which mentions the missing link icon showing that an image has been non-destructively edited, did not fix this issue.

2023-05-31 16:56:04

Sorry, yes, I had mentioned this elsewhere, but forgot about here. V3.0.3 seems to have fixed this now.

Cheers

(edit:) But the crashing was not fixed on 3.0.4.

2023-06-29 15:55:30

To clarify the previous comment I made, this issue had been fixed, and is now fine.

Although I think that’s very confusing to have the setting in two different locations, and which can both be set differently - which would take precedence?

But, otherwise, yes, I have been setting both of those appropriately, which I did say in my initial post.

Cheers.

2023-07-30 19:27:56

The issue still persists here. IPad Mini 5th gen, Photomator 3.0.11

2023-08-27 23:30:16

The 3.1 Update has helped here.