Crash when Presets strip turned on

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-05-07 07:23:07

Hi,

I've noticed a reproducible crash with Photomator (installed version 2.3.2) on my iPad Pro (2020 12.9" model).

If I turn on the Presets strip, it crashes almost ever time when I 'Modify' any image I've edited. If I turn off the strip, it doesn't crash.

The only thought I have is that it contains some older user presets that were created in previous versions of Pixelmator. Is it likely they could be a cause?

Cheers.

2023-05-08 10:08:08

Hello Andy,
I am afraid not of much help, but I can’t reproduce what you are describing. I also use the latest version of Photomator, but with my new iPad Air M1 ☺️. Tried both ways: brows Apple Photos and browsing the Files app. I don’t have own or older presets, just the one that come with the app. Tried using some Luts also. No crashes on my configuration. Tested with some RAW-files, not jpegs.

(What I did notice, but that is another issue, is that opening an image browsing Apple Photos edit manual and then with a preset, (or the other way around), I cannot undo the edits, despite the fact that I activated non-destructive editing. I just can revert in Apple photos to the original. Need to dig into that further. But I don’t want to “hijack” your post).

2023-05-08 10:50:59

Hmm, Ok, many thanks. I think my next test is to try removing my old Presets. I also have LUTs installed, but I haven't used any at this time.

I'm also working with Raws, and only directly from the Photos Library.

I am aware that the older iPad Pros have less RAM and Cache available, and can cause crashes when they get pushed too hard. But this is completely reproducible for me here, I've just been editing a bunch of images with the Presets off, and no crashes at all.

Thanks for checking though.

2023-05-08 16:55:03

No problem. Still discovering and exploring the possibilities too :smiley:

2023-05-11 15:22:33

Just another update.

It’s certainly clear this is to do with the ‘Strips’.

I’ve reset the Presets strip back to defaults, and cleared all my users ones (which I hardly used anyway), and the recents. That actually did fix the issue for a short while. It started crashing again, but much less frequently, after the recent presets started to build up again.

If I disable to Presets strip completely, I almost never see a crash.

The Filmstrip is also buggy, and seems to be working (or not!) much as it did a couple of years ago. It’s pretty useless at the moment here. I’m just getting it reset back to the beginning of the strip whenever I close the Edit box. I then have to locate the image I’m working on, which isn’t always easy if you have a bunch of similar images, as the highlight box disappears too.

So for that I also have it disabled, and go back to the grid to open the next image.

I am kind of expecting that this may be that the presets strip is pushing the GPU of the A-series iPad Pro a bit too much, and it’s maybe just running out of steam to handle everything on screen (unless there is a memory handling issue with the app somewhere?). Just some guesses there of course.

2023-05-11 17:08:13

Thanks for the update,
For what it’s worth, always using the grid :wink: mainly because the filmstrip isn’t that functional as you mention.
The presets are to me some hit and miss experience (as they were with the former version as well)
Though the app has some great features, the AI selections are better then from other app’s I know off and I love the color adjustment section especially with the clarity en texture functions, it also still has some inconsistencies (still wasn’t able to figure out what happens with the “non-destructive” edits as I mentioned earlier, sometimes they work sometimes they don’t).
Also I am not that technical to figure out if it might have to do with gpu/processing power or wether it’s simply a bug, or from me not quite understanding how to handle the app. properly.
Well all this doesn’t help you I suppose.
Still exploring, hope you be able to figure out your “problem”