Tried Photomator for a full shoot, and this is what I noticed.

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2024-04-29 06:31:25

I normally use Capture One for processing photo shoots, but thought I would give Photomator a go, and I apart from a few things, I was pleasantly surprised.

I have been using Pixelmator pro to do external editing for quite a while (fixing blemishes, etc.) and Capture One for raw processing, colour grading and basic edits.

Where Photomator fell short:

1. Culling - When importing photos in Capture One, preview Jpegs are made so that you can quickly move from one photo to the next and back again without lag. In Photomator I was sometimes waiting for a few seconds per photo.

2. Culling (again) - I see it's on the road map, so I'm waiting with bated breath for ratings, because this is an important part of my culling process. I felt uneasy just throwing photos in the trash.

3. Tethering - I would love to see a tethering solution with a Photomator interface and decent camera/lens control.

4. Focus Masking - This is another part of my culling process, but is also handy for focus stacking. Capture one has a beautiful focus mask which helps me decide quickly if a portrait is well focussed on the eyes, or to watch the progress of the in focus area along a macro focus stack.

Where Photomator was great:

1. Editing - just so easy.

2. LUT's - something I really miss in Capture One.

I love using Photomator, and would dearly love to see those things implemented, so I can move my whole workflow to your products.

2024-04-29 13:34:19

Great post. Totally agree. I would add lens correction. Apple RAW corrects none of the Canon RF lenses and especially for ultra-wide lenses shooting raw this is a real problem and as a raw editor Photomator need to cover.

2024-04-29 15:05:38

by Martin Chalifoux I would add lens correction.
That's not something I have had too much of a problem with yet.

2024-05-09 05:50:44

With the latest version (3.3.12), the speed at which the images are loaded has been improved. Nice!