PDF export ignores/doesn't set DPI - PDFs can't be used for print

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2023-12-05 14:40:26

Been using Pixelmator to manage book covers for books I self-publish. Previously, I used Pixelmator Classic. Created a 600DPI image, exported to PDF, no problem. KDP works great, Finder reports it as the right size in inches.

Now, the exact same PXM file, when exported by Pixelmator Pro 3.4.3 produces a file that is viewed as massively larger, hundreds of inches wide/tall. Resize to 300DPI and same problem.

I don't know enough about PDFs to know what is set in there or what, but since the old PIxelmator produced a PDF that both MacOS and Amazon viewed as properly sized and the new one does not, something is broken.

As a comparison, using ImageMagick on the command line on a TIFF exported from Pixelmator works great.

If someone knows about how a PDF reports its dimensions perhaps I can examine both files and figure out what Pixelmator is not doing properly.

2024-01-09 13:16:53

I got round this by using PREVIEW on Mac (running Sonoma 14.1.2 (23B2091) and exporting the PDF I created in Pixelmator PRO as PDF-A. This fixed the problem with my catalogue printing program (after spending hours with their developers where I had been singing the praises of Pixelmator Pro). turns out the Pixelmator Pro guys are only human too and make mistakes.

There are many types of PDF (I also blame Adobe for a lack of clarity) and the recent introduction of the PDF Engine in Pixelmator PRO has screwed up PDF interoperability. I have questions around the depth of their acceptance testing too.

Yes, this is a genuine bug in Pixelmator PRO and v disappointing. Pixelmator creates a PDF in a format not acceptable to other products. I'm not even sure how to ID what format of PDF it is.

I have spent a lot of time (which I didn't have) trying to work out what the problem was.
Having using Pixelmator for years I could not believe that they would screw something up quite so badly.

PDF export in Pixelmator Pro needs the same options as PREVIEW - i.e. export as PDF, PDF-A or Linearised PDF.

2024-01-09 14:21:54

Meant to say the incorrect size issue seems to be a symptom of this problem. PDF-A (A is for archiving) exports to the ISO standard so should always be a safe bet.

One thing I like about standards is there are so many of them…

2024-02-05 20:11:40

I recently I discovered I had the exact same problems and I apologise to the developers for posting a bug before reading the forum and finding this topic is already covered.
Hoping for a solution soon.
I used pages before as a way to export PDF with vector text, but I would love if I can just use Pixelmator Pro only.

2024-03-25 20:09:12

Update of sorts. In 3.5.7, this bug still exists, however when I export a PDF and request it to merge layers while doing so, the resulting PDF appears to be correct. No idea why that matters.