Importing RAW files

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2023-08-13 11:29:22

What is the correct way to import RAW files? Currently I need to transfer from my iPhone to MacBook via AirDrop. If I import with "new from photos" or hitting "command + enter" in the photos app only imports the HEIC.

2023-08-17 14:46:07

A couple of questions/suggestions newbie user guy:
1. Is your photo's library synced through iCloud-photo's ?, and where do you save the originals (I don't use iCloud for a number of reasons)
2. Perhaps a silly/trivial question ( not meaning to offend you) are you sure you are taking pictures in RAW's with your iPhone ? it is not a standard setting and not all iPhones are even capable of using RAW with the camera-app.
3. How is your iPhone connected
If I have Raw photo's in my Photo-library on my iPhone and connect the iPhone via USB to my Mac I can browse the local library on my iPhone via File->import then select iPhone and pick up the RAW's from that library. They will import as RAW.
4.. If you launch Pixelmator from within Apple Photo's (Command + enter as you mention)) it is the same as "edit with" by right clicking a photo. Raw's will be sent as "Tiff" to PP. I wouldn't advise that, as it will increase the file-size enormously. For that reason it is preferable to start edit in Photo's and the choose from the "..." roldown menu Pxelmator Pro.

Hope this helps
Ben.

2023-08-17 15:22:31

1- yes, synced with iCloud at full original quality
2- Yes, photos are in RAW
3- The photos are synced to photos app via iCloud and I can open in Pixelmator from there or I can click "new from photos". Neither work. I have been manually exporting from photos and then opening that, and that works.
4- ok, I get jpeg when I do this. I never see RAW unless I open like in step 3.

2023-08-17 17:11:11

ad 1. Does this mean that on your mac in ApplePhoto’s there is a raw available or a high quality jpeg ? As I mentioned earlier I don’t use iCloud photo’s, but to my knowledge there is a setting how the “cloud-photo’s” will be available on your devices. If you choose something like optimized you will see jpeg/heic in stead of the raw. Only when you start editing a raw will be downloaded ? If so that makes sense as PP will only see the jpeg/heic.

Then again perhaps I am wrong and I cannot help you any further, as I use a complete different workflow ☺️.
Mostly my RAW-pictures come from my camera (not iPhone) and I import them from sd-card.
When I am hiking or camping I import with my camera-app, that connects my iPad to my camera and allows me to transfer original Raw’s to my iPad files-browser, via a local wifi set-up. But then again that’s not of any help for you.

2023-08-17 17:46:41

On my Mac is the originals, if I shoot in RAW the RAW is there. I am shooting in RAW and the RAW file is on my Mac in Photos.

2024-03-18 09:56:28

Use AirDrop to transfer the RAW files from your iPhone to your MacBook. Select the RAW files you want to transfer in the Photos app on your iPhone, tap the Share icon, choose your MacBook from the AirDrop options, and confirm the transfer.

2024-03-18 11:41:59

After all this time, it was that simple. Thank you, it works!