[Beta Feedback] Import doesn't do what I expect

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2024-02-13 11:04:34

So, I love that I can work with files now rather than having to import all of my RAW files into my Photos library. However, it doesn't act like I expect it to (i.e. like Lightroom). The files are imported into the library view, but still remain on the SD card.

This is weird, because if I edit them, it starts leaving Photomator sidecar files on the SD card, which I don't really want.

Am I just using this wrong? Should I be copying the RAWs off my SD card into a triage folder, and then importing them into Photomator?

2024-02-13 11:10:16

Lightroom has a built in DAM, Photomator is a file BROWSER

So what I do is import pics from my card to an editing folder, cull what don't want to keep then photomator is already pointing towards that folder so auto sees the new pics. I then edit and once done move both the raws & the sidecars to various storage.

Hope that helps?

Shelton.

2024-02-13 17:10:04

by kop48 So, I love that I can work with files now rather than having to import all of my RAW files into my Photos library. However, it doesn't act like I expect it to (i.e. like Lightroom). The files are imported into the library view, but still remain on the SD card.

This is weird, because if I edit them, it starts leaving Photomator sidecar files on the SD card, which I don't really want.

Am I just using this wrong? Should I be copying the RAWs off my SD card into a triage folder, and then importing them into Photomator?
It is recommended to never do any editing off of your SD card, whether using Photomator or something like Lightroom CC's new local file browser (Lightroom Classic's catalog/DAM is different). Best practice is to first transfer your images to wherever you want them to live (internal SSD, external SSD, NAS, etc.). Then point Photomator to where your images are stored and edit there. Note, Photomator will still write their sidecar file to same folder the images are in.

2024-02-14 21:48:28

Regardless of the editing application one uses it is fraught with danger to edit images on an SD card. SD cards are notorious for their propensity to failure. If you can avoid editing images on an SD card then always do so.