How do I fade part of a shape to transparent? Help Please!

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2024-01-08 14:24:56

Hi! I've tried watching tutorials (using a rectangle shape with a gradient - that didn't work because it faded into a background), using the fade button, and maneuvering the blacks and whites but that didn't change anything in my shape. Nothing has worked for me so far and I'm getting frustrated.

I'm trying to get the longer parts of the letters to fade into a transparent background for a T-shirt.

Thank you in advance and have a terrific day!!

Nick

2024-01-11 17:31:59

1. Add a Mask to your image
2. Select Mask and add the Gradient Fill effect (adjust orientation to get the fade where you want it using the wheel in Effect)
3. Move the adjustment control to place the fade where you want it.

NOTE: Select Preserve Transparency from the litte arrow next to the Gradient Fill tool label

2024-01-11 18:12:40

Thank you! I tried this but was only able to fade one part of the word. Tried to add more masks but that wasn't working (not the best with mask use). I got the inspiration from this Pixelmator tutorial video (see link below) and just really wanted to be able to the do same thing as this except with a transparent background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m3U0tzYNuM&t=31s

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2024-01-11 22:45:12

I spent some time on this too. I tried the masking, as Lysander did, but only found one direction too.The method I finally ended up with is copying, subtracting, and replacing the main text, similar to this: Image
Then I selected the parts of the remainder, one at a time and and filled them with a gradient, color -> transparency: Image

2024-01-12 09:46:42

by Nick D Thank you! I tried this but was only able to fade one part of the word. Tried to add more masks but that wasn't working (not the best with mask use). I got the inspiration from this Pixelmator tutorial video (see link below) and just really wanted to be able to the do same thing as this except with a transparent background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m3U0tzYNuM&t=31s

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey Nick,

Sorry I did not make clear you can apply the Gradient Fill to the Mask MULITPLE times ;-)

In the image below I added a Gradient fill to the top of the Mask and set the Blend Mode to SUBTRACT.

Does thi help?

Remember PMP is a very powerful tool and there a many ways to achieve a result. This was my suggestion. It has the advantage of being simple and adjustable.

2024-01-12 15:43:09

by Lysander Remember PMP is a very powerful tool and there a many ways to achieve a result. This was my suggestion. It has the advantage of being simple and adjustable.
Thanks from me too, Lysander. Very good to know. I knew that with other effects, why didn't I with that one? Once again, "There's more than one way to do it."