Lens Correction profile for Canon RF-S 10-18mm lens

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-12-15 19:30:24

This is a new lens that canon just released. I shoot both JPEG and RAW. With JPEG correction is done in camera, no issue. With RAW however when I open in Photomator no correction is applied. This being a very wide angle lens, without correction vignetting and spherical distortion is very obvious. The lens name is correctly reported in the Info panel within Photomator.

Now I am a little confused how correction works. I believe Photomator relied on Apple Photos for RAW processing and thus depend on them to apply correction. But I am a Photomator user so whatever the case is in the end I am stuck with improper RAW processing with that lens so here we are. How can this be solved ? Need Apple to do something ? I had read that now a days the correction information is embedded in the RAW file but in this case either it is not used or it is missing ?

If somebody can shed light on this whole lens correction processing with using Photomator (and Apple Photos obviously) it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

2023-12-19 07:06:35

This is the case for 18-45 mm kit lens as well. I see that it opens with Barrel distortion and not sure how to correct it in Pixelmator. (I only see Perspective distortion correction)

2023-12-19 14:23:56

1. Are you shooting in Raw or C-Raw, ( compressed raw not supported as far as I know)
2. What camera type are you using
3. What happens if you open the photo in Apple Photo’s, same problem ?
4. List of camera support for macOS Sonoma: https://support.apple.com/en-us/105094

If II understand correctly not all lens-types are supported, given a certain camera; new camera-types can take quite some time before they are supported by Apple’s Raw-engine.

Third party Raw-development software might help but even then, their Camera and certain lens-types support are not always what you need.

HtH
Ben

2023-12-19 14:28:17

I have a Canon R7, use C-RAW+JPEG most of the time. The photo opens fine in both Apple Photos and Photomator, just that the lens is not corrected. This particular lens have significant distortion and vignetting so it is very obvious when comparing the C-RAW and JPEG that no correction is applied to the C-RAW (.cr3) file. The R7 is supported by Apple, it has been before Sonoma. The issue is with this lens and nowhere can we find a list of lens supported by Apple, so I suspect their RAW processing might not even include lens correction at all, in which case if Photomator does not do it either, there is a problem.

2023-12-19 15:54:17

Just checked specifically on the RF/RF-S range: with some other photo-software
DXO-Photolab, they even don't support the lens RF S 10-18, only the RF 10-120.
ON1 RAW 2024 supports only Canon RF-S 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM and Canon RF 14-35mm F4 L IS USM / Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
Affinity photo: From the RF_S only the RF-S 18-150 mm
Exposure 7: no support for RF-S yet; only a number of RF-lenses

So I am guessing, that whatever software for now it is going to be a problem I don't for Adobe or their DGN converter). I know that in RawPower you can define your own lens profile (it's a bit of work, but is wel explained on their website) to be able to use that afterwards whenever you us that specific lens.
Also if you put in a request to ON1 or Affinity and perhaps DXO, they will pas it through to their supplier of lens-correction databases they use. (There are not that many :wink: )
In the past I had a problem with my telezoom lens LUMIX 100-300 mm vs II were only the older version of that lens was supported with ON1 and Affinity. In Affinity I was able to tweak the lens (just the name, as the distortion and vignetting were very close) so I was able to use it automatically recognised by the software. In the mean time Affinity supports the lens as well.

2023-12-19 16:01:56

Thanks for the info. I use also Affinity Photo 2 and through them submitted files to the Calibration service they use for lens profiles (https://wilson.bronger.org/calibration) I suspect most apps you mention get their lens profiles from the same place. So it will take a bit of time but that lens will be added to that database. I know that lens is already added to Adobe Lightroom but I am sure Adobe have their own lens profile database.

But the broader question is how does Photomator do lens correction on RAW images ? Relies on Apple Photos RAW engine like it does for the RAW file decoding ? Does Apple even do lens correction in their engine, because they don't document it if they do it (except for iPhone lens) ? How can I know ? This is frustrating because this is not documented. But as a RAW editor, if Photomator does not do lens correction, and Apple Photo does not do it either, then it means that with this app you have no solution. With wide angle lenses this is a significant issue and it will only get worse because more and more lens depend on lens correction by design. I would just like if somebody from Photomator explain their lens correction story if there is any.

2023-12-19 17:00:09

I suspect most apps you mention get their lens profiles from the same place.
. Except for DXO they have their very advanced lens-profile database and RAW-engine.

I understand you are definitely no novice in this field :wink: . As far as I understand Apple’s RAW-Engine doesn’t support lens-correction.
You can easily determine this in Affinity by setting the RAW-engine to their own RAW-engine or to the Apple RAW-Engine in two different taps ( or using the extension from Apple Photo’s. There is definitely a difference.

And yes I agree it would be very nice if Pixelmator team would confirm or let us know what exactly is going on. I know for sure they rely (at this point) on Apple’s RAW-engine, but not sure to what extend Apple applies lens-corrections.