Remove all sidecar files command in settings - What does it do?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-10-21 15:54:51

In the settings when clicking on "Manage files" you get a choice of commands.

When choosing "delete all sidecar files older than 30 days" or "delete all sidecar files" what will happen?

Sidecar files are obviously removed but then inside Photomator what happens. Does it revert back to the original file? I haven't tried as it will affect a large amount of pictures for me.

2023-10-21 16:19:50

You can always test on the duplicated of one picture. I think the RAW and the latest rendered saved JPEG will remain but you will no longer be able to alter your edits without restarting from scratch. May be a good compromise if you have no plan to revisit the edits anyway. You should do a little test to find out. You can always delete a sidecar file by hand. If you do info on a picture, and click on the SIDECAR icon in the picture format field, it will open Finder on the associated sidecar file for that photograph

2023-10-22 10:23:06

by Martin Chalifoux You can always test on the duplicated of one picture. I think the RAW and the latest rendered saved JPEG will remain but you will no longer be able to alter your edits without restarting from scratch. May be a good compromise if you have no plan to revisit the edits anyway. You should do a little test to find out. You can always delete a sidecar file by hand. If you do info on a picture, and click on the SIDECAR icon in the picture format field, it will open Finder on the associated sidecar file for that photograph

Thanks for that tip with clicking the sidecar icon in the info dialogue. Had no idea. I would still prefer there is an option to select a few files in the browser, and then on right click have an option to remove sidecar files of those selected images.

I have tried it now to remove sidecar files. So what happens is that I do not lose any edits. It keeps the edits, even if it is a RAW file. I just can't "see" those edits anymore. ANd for RAW files I also cannot go back to the source.

At least when I remove the sidecar file manually, it does seem to keep the little edit icon on the images. So even the sidecar file is gone, one can still see thos images show up as "edited".

2023-10-22 17:47:30

If you do Revert to Original” you should be able to revert to the original raw file even after deleting the sidecar.

2023-10-23 04:15:44

hmm. interesting. doesn’t work for me. once the sidecar file is gone, the file cant be reverted anymore. Its just greyed out then. I put the sidecar file back, but hen I can revert it again.

this is when I remove a sidecar file manually.

2023-10-23 04:19:17

and one more thing. I had one case where something went wrong. After removing some sidecar files (RAW) there was one file which showed up as format jpeg now. But the size still showed as 25MB (which is the size of one of my RAW files. other files still correctly showed as “RAW”. it was just this one. confusing.

2023-10-23 05:50:26

I figured it out now. On right click in the photo bowser, I can still revert to original, even without a sidecar file.

I have looked on the editing screen and at the "revert to original" button at the top left. This one is not available anymmore after sidecar file is removed (why I wonder). You need to do it from the photo browser overview.

2023-10-23 13:30:10

by denisbkk I figured it out now. On right click in the photo bowser, I can still revert to original, even without a sidecar file.

I have looked on the editing screen and at the "revert to original" button at the top left. This one is not available anymmore after sidecar file is removed (why I wonder). You need to do it from the photo browser overview.
That's correct