Tips for making selects in Photomator?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-07-10 20:45:07

Hi! New (paid) Photomator customer here. 😁

I'm used to Apple's Photos.app, and way before that, Aperture. (Remember Aperture?)

Does Photomator have any special facility for "making selects"? That is, after a shoot, say I have 100-200 photos. What are your tips for skimming through them to do the initial pass, flagging the best candidates that could be usable?

In Aperture, I would have done this using star ratings and the "select" or "pick" flag.

Using Photos (which is not exactly intended for this use case), I rely on the "favorite" flag to mark the top picks, then later pull the selects out into a separate album.

Does Photomator have any features to help with this aspect of the workflow? Thanks!

2023-08-22 21:53:51

Neither Photomator nor Pixelmator Pro have that feature unfortunately. Like you way back I used Aperture. Sadly when it was no longer supported it left a hole in my work flow which caused me to research different offerings. In the end I settled on PhotoMechanic 6 and when PhotoMechanic Plus was released which supports catalogues I upgraded. It has made my workflow great and I can do all my editing using Photomator of Pixelmator Pro by launching from within the app then send my finished image to Apple Photos. You can still do it the other way and that is categorise your photos, tag them, adjust any EXIF data, add titles and descriptions, rename files then import to Apple photos and launch Photomator or Pixelmator Pro from within photos. PhotoMechanic is not an editing program and it is not cheap but for me it was exactly what I was looking for to be able have a quick way of categorising and rating my images so I only worked on those that I felt were good enough to post process.

2023-08-24 03:47:12

@JohneChambers — Thank you for the reply, and the pointer to PhotoMechanic!