Is it for a Newbie?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-08-13 00:30:39

Hey guys, I just took an iPhoto photography class and for the 2nd half they are recommending Lightroom. I don't like the subscription model. I'm a total newbie. I will mostly be using this for vacation photos (recently retired!). I'm not techie at all. I like Apple because things "just work". But after reading this board, I'm worried Photomator may still be too buggy for someone like me? I can't have it crashing my iCloud sync or causing me storage issues with sidecars (?). Should I bite the bullet and go with LR on a monthly basis until Photomator gets all the bugs worked out? I really want to be able to use Photomator. But the other thing is - I can't find ANY video tutorials on it on YouTube. There are tons of Pixelmator Pro videos. I'm assuming it's because Photomator is so new? I learn my "seeing" so videos would be very helpful. Thanks!

2023-08-21 14:58:03

Photomator is great! I found it has a very simple learning curve. don't like the adobe subscription model either (though photomator has also moved to the subscription model). I think reason everyone (especially all the photography classes) recommend it is because it's all they know, because it's the thing that's been used by so many people for years, and it's used by professional photographers because it has a lot of features built specifically for pros over the years.

I've not experienced many issues with Photomator (to be honest, I haven't done much in the way of photography recently due to some other things going on). The only thing I really don't like is the size of the sidecar files. But, like everything, it all depends on what you do with the images. If you are doing super resolution and noise reduction plus adjusting every slider on every photo, then yes, you are going to have huge sidecars for every image which is going to quickly take up a lot of space in iCloud. If you are just making minor adjustments to a handful of photos, then don't worry about it. If necessary, you can always delete the side car. The downside being that you can't go back in and continue to make adjustments. If you want to do further updates you have to revert the image to original and start over.

Give it a try for a bit. See how you like it.

2023-08-21 15:19:54

Thank you for the reply! I think I'll give it a go!

2023-08-21 21:04:44

I would recommend Photomator if you need more than the tools that are currently available in the Apple Photos application. I use both Photomator and Pixelmator Pro for my post production workflow depending on what I am doing to am image. For most of my iPhone photos I will use either the built in Apple editing tools or Photomator. For images shot with my Nikon camera I predominantly use Pixelmator Pro for desktop work and Photomator when I am doing editing on my iPad.

2023-08-21 23:37:40

Thanks! I bought it today on the "Back to School" deal.