User-defined shorcuts

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2023-06-17 23:07:13

The ability to modify or create new shortcuts within Pixelmator Pro.

Currently, the user can only modify shortcuts for the application via the keyboard setting in MacOS. This is rather limited and desired shortcuts cannot always be achieved.

I wish, personally, to be able to modify shortcuts to match my existing workflow and create new shortcuts that are easy to press with one hand (whilst using a graphics tablet). For example, 'Hide Interface' is presently 'control H', which is difficult to press with one hand. Ideally I would like to reassign 'tab' or else simply 'H', but this cannot be done as of version 3.3.6

This request follows on the back of my earlier query at the following thread.

viewtopic.php?t=21915&hilit=tab+to+hide+interface

2023-06-23 14:41:24

Thanks for the feedback. We understand that you'd like more control over the keyboard shortcuts in Pixelmator Pro. At the same time, our goal with Pixelmator Pro has always been to design an experience that would be native to macOS as possible. And that includes keyboard shortcut management. However, we appreciate you sharing your thoughts and will definitely take your suggestion into consideration in case anything changes in the future.

2023-06-23 19:24:14

I appreciate how Pixelmator always perfectly integrates with macOS both at the code level and UI. One issue with relying on the macOS System Settings level key commands is that as someone who does a clean operating system install every 6 months to keep things running perfectly, it takes a lot of time to re-enter all the custom commands versus saving and exporting a preset file.

2023-06-23 23:24:33

Cheers Aurelija for looking at my suggestion. I can appreciate the desire to keep the native MacOS feel to keystrokes.

Perhaps there can be a global "advanced" or "pro" option a user can select that unlocks a range of pro features, this way a user can choose to either keep things simple or delve deeper into options. Just a thought.

I agree with Christopher, user-defined shortcuts that can be exported/saved as a file would be great, akin to exporting brushes and swatches.