rotate numerically

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2023-06-13 20:46:14

I'm trying to straighten an image from a scan and I only have to straighten it around a degree. I'm using the rotation tool, and if I select anything less than 358, it automatically snaps to 0. I see that those numbers are available, but it resets. I've been able to hold down the command key to turn off snap for other tools, but I don't seem to be able to affect the rotate wheel, even though I can select the correct # and get it straight, it resets to 0 when I let go of the mouse. I would also love to be able to type those tiny #s in, as it feels like I can work a little more precisely than I can with mouse or fingers. Thanks for any help!

2023-06-17 19:21:43

You can type the rotation value in the rotation result to 100ths of degrees. If memory serves it the displays only to 10ths of a degree. Yep. that's right.

But I don't know if it actually does 100ths.

2023-06-17 19:52:16

Yes, I did that, but it continued to snap to a value that was much greater than what I typed in.

2023-06-17 20:14:05

By chance is it a layer that is already rotated? Does this work in a new layer with a single item?
My thinking is that it may display the relative rotation of an already rotated enclosing item.

2023-06-17 21:13:14

I see what the issue is. I just tried a test with a new image, and you are correct. What I did was specify that the rotate tool was always visible, and it's in that tool that it resets when less than 2 degrees or so away when I turn the tool, even though it shows numbers at a much smaller fraction of a degree. I'm still getting used to where things are in pixelmator, so I chose that tool instead in the view menu, but I was able to do what I needed in the arrange window, or by hitting cmd-t, so thank you! I'm still trying to understand the relationship between the rotate controls that sit on top of the image and when they appear if "automatically show controls" is selected in canvas rotation in the view menu, but I'll probably stick to the transform menu in "arrange."