TEXT TOOL BEHAVIOR

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2023-03-14 09:24:08

Hi,

The text tool selection process needs an overhaul.

If one has multiple text elements on a page, One should not have to switch between the Arrow tool and the text too or switching layersl. Once the text tol is selected it should in a sense become the Arrow tool until another tool is selected.

I just find myself constantly double clicking on existing text with the text tool selected and then making new text boxes and layers rather than EDITING existing text.

There should be a way to click between text elements in the main window and not have to go to the layer panel to switch layers of text.

Can the text tool become "smart" to text elements?

David

2023-04-05 19:23:46

Yep. This is driving me bonkers. Also, I keep pressing the Text Tool, add a TEXT layer and start typing only to trigger all sorts of shortcuts instead of typing text in the Text Layer I just created. And as you said, if you want to adjust TEXT properties in existing layers, it doesn't bring up the actual text properties until you click the "T"ext tool again.

2023-04-06 09:38:45

Hey guys! Valid points - this is an area we're looking to improve in the future.
I just find myself constantly double clicking on existing text with the text tool selected and then making new text boxes and layers rather than EDITING existing text.
I would suggest making sure that Auto Select is enabled at the bottom of the Arrange tool settings. The Type tool does in fact "become" the Arrange tool while you're selecting text layers and thus is dependant on the Auto Select setting just as much as the Arrange tool itself. Going off of the behavior described here, it sounds like either Auto Select is disabled, or you're missing the text when clicking to select it.

2023-04-08 15:12:53

oh, yeah, auto-select was off. Still, with auto-select on you need to click once to place the TEXT box and then you need to click again to type in it. I mean, I place the text box because I want to type in it. Why do I need to click twice?