Copy drag an object without creating a new layer?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-07-15 18:17:20

If I create a line then alt-drag to copy it PP automatically makes a new layer for the copy.

Is there a way to keep the copy on the same layer? Otherwise drag-copying an object many times creates an awful lot of layers. Which is confusing and makes for a lot of extra work.

2021-07-20 08:07:15

Pixelmator Pro typically tries to keep most workflows nondestructive and working on the same layer is a destructive approach — if you accidentally place the line where it shouldn't be, it would get baked into the image which is not ideal. So what I think you could do is continue working nondestructively, but use the Merge All function (Option + Shift + Command + E) to merge layers after each line or once you feel your Layers sidebar is getting cluttered.

2021-07-20 08:52:54

Thanks Aurelija. That's what I've been doing ;0)

Takes a bit of adjustment to get used to the new way of working, but I think I'm getting there.

2021-07-21 09:25:05

Yep, that's a pretty obvious workaround — I had a feeling you might already be aware of it. :sweat_smile: Alternatively, you can hold down the Shift key while adding lines. This will create a shape group that you can later merge or convert into pixels. Again, not ideal but it might just save you a few steps.

2021-08-19 08:04:02

by jacky joy 2021-08-14 13:10:56 thanks for the awesome information.
Always a pleasure to help. :wink: