Pixelmator Pro 2.1 Coral out now

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2021-06-29 09:25:37

Good day, Pixelmator fans! Today is truly a fantastic day because we’re releasing Pixelmator Pro 2.1 Coral, our latest and greatest major update, which is packed full of awesome new features and improvements.

Read the full blog post here.

2021-06-29 10:02:56

I first bought Pixelmator Pro a few days after it first went 50% off (almost 2 months ago) not to replace Affinity Photo, my photo editing workhorse, but as an extension for photos.
I'd seen it as a suggestion on the App Store for ages, but I never had pulled the plug, until I found out about and downloaded the free trial! now I use it as my main photo editor (why wait for Affinity photo to launch in 15 seconds when another almost identical, and sometimes better app launches in 5 seconds max!) only using affinity for huge projects or something where I need one specific tool. and now, only 2 months later, there's an update! Thanks for making this app, I got more than I paid for!

Photoshop pioneered digital photo editing, Affinity photo was (essentially) a clone with amazing performance updates, and you guys made an app that's for the photo editing of today. (you should make a "Get a Mac" photoshop-equivalent advert!)

2021-06-29 10:52:53

The Pixelmator Pro team has made photo editing and graphic design into something very wonderful and professional.

2021-06-29 11:29:47

Cheers, gang – here's to many more great updates like this one! :red_heart:

2021-06-29 13:46:10

- Founded on the Mac App Store !

2021-06-29 16:04:27

Thank you for all of the new features! We love Pixelmator Pro!

2021-06-29 16:21:13

Thanks for this update Pixelmator team. I am especially happy to have one feature I particularly asked for which is the text slider. I appreciate the ML features too, but tend to do things more manually.

Please consider automation features dealing with layer groups and exporting. Although I love Pixelmator Pro and prefer it, I had to go back to Photoshop because it allowed me to use a script (https://www.mattjennings.net/photoshop- ... oups-files) to export more than twenty images (each thumbnail image in it's own layer group) with just a few clicks automatically. I had to do this for five different images sizes; each PSD file representing different size thumbnails such as 1920x1080, 1920x1280, 1920x1920, 2048x1536, and 1536x2048. That would be 100 manual exports in Pixelmator Pro and would take a lot of time; a mundane task when computing can support automation.

It took me a long time to find this script since I can't script on my own, so Pixelmator team, if you can make an automated exporting feature simple and flexible, this would be a tremendously killer feature.

I appreciate the product you all have created and continue to improve.

2021-06-30 08:21:02

+1 for scripting on Mac.

2021-06-30 10:23:24

by Harris Thank you for all of the new features! We love Pixelmator Pro!
:raised_hands:
by tangierc Please consider automation features dealing with layer groups and exporting. Although I love Pixelmator Pro and prefer it, I had to go back to Photoshop because it allowed me to use a script (https://www.mattjennings.net/photoshop- ... oups-files) to export more than twenty images (each thumbnail image in it's own layer group) with just a few clicks automatically. I had to do this for five different images sizes; each PSD file representing different size thumbnails such as 1920x1080, 1920x1280, 1920x1920, 2048x1536, and 1536x2048. That would be 100 manual exports in Pixelmator Pro and would take a lot of time; a mundane task when computing can support automation.

It took me a long time to find this script since I can't script on my own, so Pixelmator team, if you can make an automated exporting feature simple and flexible, this would be a tremendously killer feature.

I appreciate the product you all have created and continue to improve.
Pixelmator Pro has AppleScript support and this should be very easy to script. Could you describe your workflow in more detail in the AppleScript thread? I'll be happy to try my hand at scripting this for you.
by Martin Packer 2021-06-30 07:07:52 +1 for scripting on Mac.
As mentioned above, Pixelmator Pro has incredibly extensive support for AppleScript. You can learn more about it here. If there are any additional scripting features you'd like to see, let us know and we'll see what we can do. :wink:

2021-06-30 15:38:17

Consider this my love letter to Pixelmator. From Classic to Pro, I have snuck Pixelmator into my professional workflow at work on a daily basis while all my coworkers stick to either Adobe [or one guy who uses Affinity]. The app fits my software philosophy as a tool that puts the entire process of digital art: raster, vector, and composition into one interface, rather than seperate them, [looking at you Adobe and Affinity]. This update has left me incredibly excited for the future of the software. I have lurked this forum for a long time and hadn't posted until today. My reason to post is 1. give thanks, and 2. share my hopes for the future.

I have been of the mindset that a standalone Vectornator app goes against what Pixelmator has already set out to do because the majority of the vector tools I use are already there. 2.1 has brought the wonderful stroke with brush tool, but it doesn't allow real-time painting; it only allows vectors or layers to be applied after the fact. This is a great start to vector upgrades, but can we see a dedicated pen/vector-brush tool implemented, one that can do freehand paths with a brush applied as it is drawn? – Alongside this I also hope to see the ability to taper the width of strokes with a curve editor, which would apply to my proposed pen/vector-brush tool, and also something I'd hope for the normal brush tool instead of the current start and end stroke tail adjustments in the brush editor.

As has been suggested in these forums before, the ability to add stroke caps and corners to stroke paths would also be much appreciated additions to the vector tools. The vector tools are nearly at a professional stage! And I can only hope the little details get added, including making Merge Shape Components more prominent in the tool sidebar.

Despite my rant, this software has achieved things in a beautiful Apple inspired interface that other apps can only dream of! Pixelmator, I love you.

2021-07-01 11:12:13

by Mika Consider this my love letter to Pixelmator. From Classic to Pro, I have snuck Pixelmator into my professional workflow at work on a daily basis while all my coworkers stick to either Adobe [or one guy who uses Affinity]. The app fits my software philosophy as a tool that puts the entire process of digital art: raster, vector, and composition into one interface, rather than seperate them, [looking at you Adobe and Affinity]. This update has left me incredibly excited for the future of the software. I have lurked this forum for a long time and hadn't posted until today. My reason to post is 1. give thanks, and 2. share my hopes for the future.

I have been of the mindset that a standalone Vectornator app goes against what Pixelmator has already set out to do because the majority of the vector tools I use are already there. 2.1 has brought the wonderful stroke with brush tool, but it doesn't allow real-time painting; it only allows vectors or layers to be applied after the fact. This is a great start to vector upgrades, but can we see a dedicated pen/vector-brush tool implemented, one that can do freehand paths with a brush applied as it is drawn? – Alongside this I also hope to see the ability to taper the width of strokes with a curve editor, which would apply to my proposed pen/vector-brush tool, and also something I'd hope for the normal brush tool instead of the current start and end stroke tail adjustments in the brush editor.

As has been suggested in these forums before, the ability to add stroke caps and corners to stroke paths would also be much appreciated additions to the vector tools. The vector tools are nearly at a professional stage! And I can only hope the little details get added, including making Merge Shape Components more prominent in the tool sidebar.

Despite my rant, this software has achieved things in a beautiful Apple inspired interface that other apps can only dream of! Pixelmator, I love you.
Is somebody cutting onions or are my eyes just feeling a little sweaty today? 🥲

Custom stroke caps and joins are on our roadmap for sure, vector/raster brushes sound interesting! I'll pass on the request.

P.S. Thanks again for taking the time to share such detailed feedback and such kind words too, they really are appreciated. :red_heart:

2021-07-02 07:11:25

I have Pixelmator Pro 2.0.8. Where can I download Pixelmator Pro 2.1?

2021-07-02 07:47:47

From the Mac App Store – is the update not appearing for you?

2021-07-03 06:42:20

Pixelmator Photo什么时候会更新呀,已经很久没有带来新版本啦,如果现在在内测,可以邀请我吗?

2021-07-03 10:05:28

Pixelmator Pro for iPad next? :eyes:

2021-07-05 08:21:21

by 294790756@qq.com 2021-07-03 03:42:20 Pixelmator Photo什么时候会更新呀,已经很久没有带来新版本啦,如果现在在内测,可以邀请我吗?
We're working on an update now – it's not currently in public beta testing, but we'll let everyone know if have anything to test.
by Cybernetic Phoenix 2021-07-03 07:05:28 Pixelmator Pro for iPad next? :eyes:
Yes and no. So... kind of. But not really. But in the future, almost definitely!

2021-07-06 08:51:24

When the new update of Pixelmator Pro will come?

2021-07-06 10:35:45

Eric James Pixelmator Pro 2.1 has already been released, so check your Updates tab in the App Store. if there's no updates there, your App Store might have not caught up and you should search it on the App Store and install the update there!

2021-07-12 20:16:45

I want to switch from Photoshop to Pixelmator Pro, but I can't do that until it can open and edit Pixelmator Photo files. When that happens, I'll buy Pixelmator Pro in a heartbeat.

2021-07-15 10:40:53

by Tim Brown 2021-07-12 17:16:45 I want to switch from Photoshop to Pixelmator Pro, but I can't do that until it can open and edit Pixelmator Photo files. When that happens, I'll buy Pixelmator Pro in a heartbeat.
This makes it sound like Photoshop can open Pixelmator Photo files. :sweat_smile:

In any case, a big first step to adding this was the work we did with the Crop tool in the most recent major update. Full Pixelmator Photo file support is still a more medium-term plan, but we are taking steps towards laying the foundations for it.

2021-07-23 00:25:26

Please allow me to turn off the "dual color swatch" feature. It confuses me why I can't just change the brush color swatch now.

2021-07-23 13:50:12

by JaydenIrwin 2021-07-22 21:25:26 Please allow me to turn off the "dual color swatch" feature. It confuses me why I can't just change the brush color swatch now.
Try Control-clicking the toolbar and choose Customize Toolbar — this will let you add or remove items from the toolbar and create a set that works best for you.

2021-07-27 12:07:30

I have a strange question. When I bought PixelMatorPro this year I found a .pxd example file from your promo video - It´s a portrait in side view (girl get its hair painted in blue colour) I believe it is called "Melissa". I´m not able to verify where I did get this file from. I was hoping to find more examples to study from. Anyone have an idea where it´s from?
Thanks in advance.
PS.: I have a second question: Can I choose a language other than the one taken from the system prefs? It´s hard to follow tut´s and vids which are all in English and I can´t find the equivalent topics.

2021-07-27 13:09:54

by EllenM 2021-07-27 12:20:05 I have a strange question. When I bought PixelMatorPro this year I found a .pxd example file from your promo video - It´s a portrait in side view (girl get its hair painted in blue colour) I believe it is called "Melissa". I´m not able to verify where I did get this file from. I was hoping to find more examples to study from. Anyone have an idea where it´s from?
Thanks in advance.
PS.: I have a second question: Can I choose a language other than the one taken from the system prefs? It´s hard to follow tut´s and vids which are all in English and I can´t find the equivalent topics.
That's most likely one of the demo documents that come with the Pixelmator Pro trial. You can download all the demo files here: http://upload-cdn.pixelmator.com/Demo-11727.zip

You can change the app language separately from macOS if that's what you're asking. Here's how: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/m ... b13d65/mac

2021-07-27 13:20:40

Hi Aurelija.
I´m so glad I asked. The language change worked like a charm - didn´t even know it is possible that easy.
And many thanks for demo example files. You´ve been of immensely help - thank you. :blush:
Have a great day.