Sidecar file sizes (beta update)

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2024-01-05 16:07:36

I have to say the Pixelmator team weren't kidding when they said the sidecar file size had been reduced!!

Testing the latest beta version 3.3 I'm getting file sizes of under 1mb on general edits & even a photo with heavy editing/multiple layers with various sub masks its just 15mb!! This is on 61mb Sony raw files

Huge improvement, well done the team

Shelton.

2024-01-05 17:17:36

Yes. I've been averaging around 700-900kb for basic edits and a few masked edits. When I do a LUT (to get my Fuji film sims) it jumps up to about 30-40mb. ML Denoise is still pushing it to around 500mb.

As said, yes, it is a huge improvement for Photomator. Still pales in comparison to the mere 9-15kb for similar edits in Lightroom even with Lightroom's built in Fuji film sim profiles.

2024-01-05 17:23:58

I hadn't tried adding a LUT yet, will have to experiement & also see what happens if I bring a .dng or .tiff from PureRaw3 as I don't use the inbuilt Denoising

As you say, still a fair way to go - but much better than I used to find that every edit I did was around the 400mb mark

2024-01-05 22:03:20

by Shelton also see what happens if I bring a .dng or .tiff from PureRaw3 as I don't use the inbuilt Denoising
Is that your standard workflow? Convert your images in DXO PureRaw then use Photomator for edits? I've been thinking about this as DXO has much better raw processing for Fuji files than Apple. If DXO offered PureRaw as an iPad app I would do it for sure.

2024-01-05 22:58:35

turns out the fuji film sim LUTs I was using are not optimized for Photomator. I tried some other ones that are (provided by Samanta from Pixelmator in a forum thread) and those are down to 1.1mb sidecars, just like the LUTs that were already included with the beta.

2024-01-06 13:44:42

by Nadeem
Is that your standard workflow? Convert your images in DXO PureRaw then use Photomator for edits? I've been thinking about this as DXO has much better raw processing for Fuji files than Apple. If DXO offered PureRaw as an iPad app I would do it for sure.
[quote=Nadeem post_id=82451 time=NaN

I use PureRaw for denoising/Demosaicing images from my A7r4, not all though. I'll try a couple of edits over the weekend hopefully & see what happens with the sidecar saves.

user_id=22176]turns out the fuji film sim LUTs I was using are not optimized for Photomator. I tried some other ones that are (provided by Samanta from Pixelmator in a forum thread) and those are down to 1.1mb sidecars, just like the LUTs that were already included with the beta.[/quote]

Good to know - would like to know what makes a LUT "optimised" as I have alot of my own

2024-01-08 13:58:51

Denoise becoming a key feature it also needs to produce small, sidecar files. They save too many intermediate copies of images to avoid triggering a re-compute at a later time, but that is not the compromise I look for. I want the small sidecar and live with longer re-editing later if that happen. We simply cannot keep 500mb sidecar files around

2024-01-19 20:32:15

by Nadeem turns out the fuji film sim LUTs I was using are not optimized for Photomator. I tried some other ones that are (provided by Samanta from Pixelmator in a forum thread) and those are down to 1.1mb sidecars, just like the LUTs that were already included with the beta.
What Fuji LUTs are you using? I have a set I was excited for, but they seem to output very exaggerated effects compared to my Fuji’s in-camera film sim processing. I’m hoping to find a more accurate set of Fuji LUTs for use with Photomator.

2024-01-19 23:45:30

by nigelw
What Fuji LUTs are you using? I have a set I was excited for, but they seem to output very exaggerated effects compared to my Fuji’s in-camera film sim processing. I’m hoping to find a more accurate set of Fuji LUTs for use with Photomator.
I started out with these off of Affinity Photo forums: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index. ... ants-them/ . These are the ones that give me 30-40mb sidecars.

Then I used these: https://upload-cdn.pixelmator.com/Fujif ... ofiles.zip which are the ‘optimized’ LUTs provided by Samanta from Pixelmator in a thread in these forums. These create sidecars that are about 1mb.

Just to note, I won’t be using either. The results are…not pleasing. I compared them to SOOC jpegs, and also the camera profiles from both Lightroom and Capture One, and like yours they look awful.

2024-01-20 16:12:49

Compared Photomator edits on iPad and Mac (PM BETA). Did some denoising and super resolution and the sidecar file on iPad was 280mb et 316mb on Mac…

Still a long way to go I guess…

2024-01-20 20:30:37

by Shelton I hadn't tried adding a LUT yet, will have to experiement & also see what happens if I bring a .dng or .tiff from PureRaw3 as I don't use the inbuilt Denoising

As you say, still a fair way to go - but much better than I used to find that every edit I did was around the 400mb mark
Finally got around to trying this, happy to say editing the raw file then copying the adjustments to both a dng and tiff created from the same raw via pureraw and the sidecar files stay both within 5kb of the original edit.

Shelton.