Mac version: Cataloging in disk folders, independently of Apple Photos

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-05-17 09:23:35

Hi,

is it generally possible on Mac version of Photomator, to cataloging outside of Apple Photos, I mean completely independently of Apple Photos, in a disk folder? I'd like to separate my Photomator and Photos workflows.
Thank you!

2023-05-17 13:57:18

Not at the moment, but this is planned for a future update!

2023-05-17 22:03:19

by simonasd Not at the moment, but this is planned for a future update!
I hope any built in cataloguing feature you develop in the future which is independent of the Apple Photos Library is as a minimum similar to the Lightroom cataloguing feature but preferably similar to the functionality in Photo Mechanic Plus.

2023-05-19 05:31:34

Thank you Simon! Hope it wouldn’t take years? Could you be more specific about the terms please?

2023-05-19 05:55:15

I too would love this feature, I actually signed up to ask about this earlier today.

Background: I shoot with a 50 mp camera that takes 30 fps. Filling up an 80 gig card is easy in an hour. In this scenario how am I supposed to use Photomator with it's photos library integration? If I import directly from the cards to photo's library I'll fill my 1TB HD up in a couple weeks, and then as it's "monolithic", as far as I can tell I has no way to selective manage the folders, kicking out older stuff to NAS backup when I finish with it. I could import to the NAS, and from there into the library. But then I still have the management of the library to deal with, and two copies of the files.

In it's current form I don't think Photomator is there yet for pro/prosumer types. Causal users probably will be fine. A pity, because otherwise it looks excellent, and exactly what I was looking for to replace Lightroom/C1.

2023-05-19 06:45:53

I second @pixartia's question – I hoped that it would be introduced at launch, now I am unable to test it before deciding if I want to purchase, and the discounted price might end up soon.

2023-05-19 06:58:46

and, please, also add support for *non* system Apple Photos libraries (option-click on launch)

thnx

2023-05-19 09:42:05

I will add - can we import Lightroom libraries?

2023-05-19 09:58:31

by Mike_72 can we import Lightroom libraries?

can't see how: Photomator is just an editor that relies on Apple Photos for organising/managing files so... you have to migrate to Photos your Lightroom libraries

2023-05-19 12:40:43

by pixartia Thank you Simon! Hope it wouldn’t take years? Could you be more specific about the terms please?
Definitely not years - more like a few months. :fingers_crossed:
by Alistair King I too would love this feature, I actually signed up to ask about this earlier today.

Background: I shoot with a 50 mp camera that takes 30 fps. Filling up an 80 gig card is easy in an hour. In this scenario how am I supposed to use Photomator with it's photos library integration? If I import directly from the cards to photo's library I'll fill my 1TB HD up in a couple weeks, and then as it's "monolithic", as far as I can tell I has no way to selective manage the folders, kicking out older stuff to NAS backup when I finish with it. I could import to the NAS, and from there into the library. But then I still have the management of the library to deal with, and two copies of the files.

In it's current form I don't think Photomator is there yet for pro/prosumer types. Causal users probably will be fine. A pity, because otherwise it looks excellent, and exactly what I was looking for to replace Lightroom/C1.
This workflow will of course be addressed by the addition of the Files browser.
In case this helps your use case, right now it's also possible to save space on your iCloud Drive / local storage by saving your Photomator edits in an alternate location, such as your NAS.
by pl_svn and, please, also add support for *non* system Apple Photos libraries (option-click on launch)

thnx
As much as we'd love to, unfortunately this isn't possible right now from a technical point of view - macOS 13 restricts third-party apps from being able to access non-system Photos libraries.
by pl_svn

can't see how: Photomator is just an editor that relies on Apple Photos for organising/managing files so... you have to migrate to Photos your Lightroom libraries
This is correct.

2023-05-19 20:07:59

Sorry, trying to figure this out...Are y'all saying that we can't access image folders on an external hard drive? We have to move folders from the drive and import them to photos? Obviously a deal breaker, but I want to be sure before I move on. Appreciate the help

2023-05-20 04:14:37

by simonasd Not at the moment, but this is planned for a future update!
Please make this a priority....
This is the only reason I have not been able to leave on1 and Lightroom. I have all photos on a nas and im not wanting to pay for icloud storage

2023-05-23 16:34:49

by pl_svn and, please, also add support for *non* system Apple Photos libraries (option-click on launch)

thnx
As much as we'd love to, unfortunately this isn't possible right now from a technical point of view - macOS 13 restricts third-party apps from being able to access non-system Photos libraries.

Is that right? RAW Power is an editor that can do this.

2023-05-23 17:06:23

by simonasd As much as we'd love to, unfortunately this isn't possible right now from a technical point of view - macOS 13 restricts third-party apps from being able to access non-system Photos libraries.
actually... I asked the very same to the developer of another recently released app that relies on Photos and... he told me it's coming in v1.1

2023-05-23 17:19:04

by pl_svn
actually... I asked the very same to the developer of another recently released app that relies on Photos and... he told me it's coming in v1.1
Mind sharing name of the app? ;)

2023-05-23 17:22:07

by bzx
Mind sharing name of the app? ;)
let's say... it has both bench and work in its name :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2023-05-23 17:59:03

by pl_svn
let's say... it has both bench and work in its name :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Awesome, thanks!

2023-05-24 06:25:45

My question was:

...independently of Apple Photos, in a disk folder? I'd like to separate my Photomator and Photos workflows....

And @simonasd Pixelmator Team answered:

Not at the moment, but this is planned for a future update!

So apparently it's planned on their roadmap...

2023-05-24 06:48:18

Yep, but who knows when, it might slip to another year.

2023-05-24 07:36:22

He answered promptly 😉
« Definitely not years - more like a few months. 🤞 »
So let’s hope!
I purchased a lifetime licence just in case, but for now nothing is better than my LR+PS workflow.
Love debanding function in Pixelmator Pro, which doesn’t unfortunately exist in Photomator.
Else I cannot find anything what can push me away from Adobe’s cozy nest…
So shall see what’s coming next and let’s hope that Photomator’s evolution will be fast and brilliant!

2023-05-25 06:27:04

by pl_svn
developer just sent me a beta of "that app": it will open the last library used by Apple Photos
so, to open a non system Photos library, you first select it in Photos (option-click on launch) then launch your app

:smiley:

2023-05-25 07:00:32

by pl_svn
developer just sent me a beta of "that app": it will open the last library used by Apple Photos
so, to open a non system Photos library, you first select it in Photos (option-click on launch) then launch your app

:smiley:
Photomator opens default Photos library, so changing to another library in Photos applied in Photomator also.
But my question was about completely independent cataloging, completely aside of Photos library.

2023-05-25 07:01:41

by pixartia
Photomator opens default Photos library, so changing to another library in Photos applied in Photomator also
no, sorry: it does *not*

2023-05-25 07:06:10

by pl_svn
no, sorry: it does *not*
Sorry, it doesn't, you're right. Anyway the subject is an _independent_ cataloging...

2023-08-06 19:19:26

Just wanted to put another vote in for this feature. Being able to create separate "catalogs" or "libraries" that are completely separate from Apple Photos (like Lightroom Classic) is the last thing stopping me from switching from LR to Photomator!

For us photographers shooting RAW files with cameras with big sensors, we are working with a TON of data. It simply makes no sense to put these RAW files in the Apple Photos library and get the RAW files synced to our iCloud. We would run out of the 2TB iCloud storage (which is the maximum we can get) in no time.

The Photos apps is also where many of us store our casual, daily iPhone snapshots and screenshots. We wouldn't want to mix RAW files for clients and businesses into our personal Photos library.

I saw that Simon from Pixelmator said this is would only take a few months' time to develop? That gives me hope! I look forward to seeing this feature :)