Photomator v. Pixelmator Pro

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-05-16 14:20:57

I have used Pixelmator Pro for years and am happy with it ... what does Photomator offer to me, should I decide to purchase, that I do not already have? Is it the AI tools, and if so will they eventually come to PPro?

2023-05-16 14:23:20

2023-05-16 14:42:30

Thanks LaurentP ... I did that but it's not clear about what Photomator does that Pixelmator does not.
For example, if I have sharpening issues after PPro work I use Topaz ... I see that Photomator offers an AI tool to increase resolution, is that better than Pro plus Topaz? I am happy to pay, cost is not the issue, but I would like to know what it does better ... and if it is not better that PPro then what is the point of it?

2023-05-16 15:13:38

I think that PPro has the same upscaler than Photomator...
During my tests I found that the upscaler is not as good as freescaler for example (you can found it on the App Store) ... and I'm pretty sure that Topaz is better too.

2023-05-16 15:16:28

by LaurentP I think that PPro has the same upscaler than Photomator...
During my tests I found that the upscaler is not as good as freescaler for example (you can found it on the App Store) ... and I'm pretty sure that Topaz is better too.
THANK YOU

2023-05-16 15:20:59

Selection using AI and cataloging are for me the biggest differences.The adjustment tools seems the same. Lets hope the apply to all / syncing will be on bar with Lightroom. Pixelmator Pro is a Photoshop, Photomator is Lightroom at least thats how I read it.

2023-05-16 15:23:18

Thank you ... in that case worth looking into

2023-06-17 13:14:44

According to your personal review, which one is worth using?

2023-08-26 09:17:57

by RichardWatkins According to your personal review, which one is worth using?
Slightly older post but I see this question posted often, so here's my response. As a disclaimer, I use Pixelmator and have purchased Photomator in the hopes of being able to replace my current software, but am using Capture One Pro instead of Photomator until Photomator supports external libraries.

Both are potentially worth using, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. Because while they both roughly do the same thing, it's kind of like saying that a motorcycle and a tractor trailer truck can both move you from one place to another. They can, but the fine details matter.

Pixelmator is your choice if you are either heavily editing and manipulating your photos, and if you only edit a small number of photos at a time.

Photomator should be your choice if you are reviewing larger numbers of photos, and want to apply adjustments to multiple photos at once.

The two should complement each other. My general workflow is to process hundreds or thousands of photos in Capture One (eventually will use Photomator for this). For photos I really like, that might require more involved editing, or that I intend to print (instead of just throwing into a virtual album) I will take them into Pixelmator and work on them further, after I have used Capture One to cull and perform the general adjustments.

2024-02-10 16:32:51

You had me at external libraries.

That is the same reason that I use Capture One.

That being said, I have used Photomator on my phone and liked it for some personal editing, but lack of external library support will keep me from using it on my Mac for any client work.

2024-02-12 13:06:00

External libraries currently works in the beta I'm testing - we are on Beta 9 at the moment, it was hoped to roll out before the year end, but didn't happen.... But I would think we are very close to the 3.3 release.

Shelton.