Opening in tab not new instance

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-02-28 16:03:36

When I open a psd Pixelmator open a new instance of Pixelmator. Is there a way to have the psd open in a tab in the currently open instance of Pixelmator?

2022-03-01 10:00:55

This is strange because as soon as I drag a second photo onto the Pixelmator Pro app icon in the dock or go File: New a new tab will open - no new window. And there´s a "+"-sign to add new tabs in the right side of the window:

2022-03-01 14:39:16

I do the double click to open but Ill try dragging it to the dock and see what happens.

2022-03-01 16:53:05

Nope, still opens in a new instance of Pixelmator. Why?

2022-03-01 18:49:11

Can you try: go Window->Show Tab Bar and check if new images are now load in a new tab?

2022-03-01 19:39:50

I tried to duplicate your experience but could not. I opened a jpg file first then a multi-layer PSD file and the PSD opened as a new tab with layers intact.

2022-03-07 16:29:46

Not sure. Maybe try opening multiple psds. That's what Im doing. I also use different desktops. It's possible that if Pixelmator is in full screen and I open from a different desktop it causes a new instance. Sounds like there isnt an obvious fix.

2022-03-09 13:34:58

I may be missing a point here but it looks like macOS is working correctly here (?). New documents should open on the currently active desktop by default. Keynote and other Mac apps should behave identically. If that's not how it works, we'll need to take a closer look at this.

2022-03-09 15:52:56

So that newly opened document should create a new instance of Pixelmator and not open as a tab in the currently open instance of Pixelmator? But if I have Pixelmator in fullscreen that acts as a new desktop and it would be impossible to double click another psd because I would have to switch to a desktop with a Folder visible. That's odd to me. But if it's normal, ok.

2022-03-09 15:58:24

by dick rick 2022-03-09 15:55:23 So that newly opened document should create a new instance of Pixelmator and not open as a tab in the currently open instance of Pixelmator? But if I have Pixelmator in fullscreen that acts as a new desktop and it would be impossible to double click another psd because I would have to switch to a desktop with a Folder visible. That's odd to me. But if it's normal, ok.
Not how it works for me. No matter what type of files I open they appear as TABs in the current instance of Pixelmator Pro.

2022-03-09 18:02:04

by Lysander 2022-03-09 23:58:24
Not how it works for me. No matter what type of files I open they appear as TABs in the current instance of Pixelmator Pro.
Even if you have Pixlemator in fullscreen/own desktop mode so you have to switch to a different desktop to open the file?

2022-03-09 18:20:29

by dick rick 2022-03-09 18:04:21
Even if you have Pixlemator in fullscreen/own desktop mode so you have to switch to a different desktop to open the file?
Yes.

If you want absolute answer please post steps you want me to execute to exactly duplicate your process.

2022-03-10 12:57:52

by dick rick So that newly opened document should create a new instance of Pixelmator and not open as a tab in the currently open instance of Pixelmator? But if I have Pixelmator in fullscreen that acts as a new desktop and it would be impossible to double click another psd because I would have to switch to a desktop with a Folder visible. That's odd to me. But if it's normal, ok.
Yes, that is the expected behavior on macOS right now. To open documents without exiting the full screen or switching to a different desktop, you'd probably want to use the Shift + Command + V keyboard shortcut. It will bring up the files browser within Pixelmator Pro and you'll be able to choose the PSD you want to open from there.

2022-03-10 17:15:42

That's what I have resorted to. Stumbles my work flow a bit but a small gripe at that.