Picture Organization Tool

A place to talk about anything else with other Pixelmator users.

2020-11-22 22:01:27

I am looking to get off Lightroom. One thing that I am not seeing is a way to organize photos like Lightroom. I don't need Lightroom capabilities, but being able to search by keyword etc. What are some good tools that Pixelmator users use?

2021-01-02 03:17:44

Same here, there is so much software dedicated to editing photos. Even apps that have DAM features, usually they take a backseat to AI editing features and the like. I'd really like it if the Pixelmator team took a stab at it.

2021-01-05 10:58:13

The best we might be able to offer is something that would use the Photos framework as a base rather than building our own DAM from scratch. :wink:

2021-01-06 00:26:35

by Andrius The best we might be able to offer is something that would use the Photos framework as a base rather than building our own DAM from scratch. :wink:
There is RAW Power that does that with IMHO limited success. I am not sure whether it is a limitation of Photos’s SQLite database, but it does not implement essential features like stacks and versions. I find most DAM software is severely lacking when it comes to actual DAM features. Most focus on editing features instead. I gave other, more concrete suggestions in the other thread. :blush:

2021-01-06 15:37:11

I am looking to get off Lightroom.

2021-01-10 08:16:01

There are a lot of people who are trying to get rid of Lightroom.
Some of us are using Photos DAM ability along with Pixelator nondestructive for editing.
Both of them will grow up.

2021-01-12 00:07:28

by Cata'S There are a lot of people who are trying to get rid of Lightroom.
Some of us are using Photos DAM ability along with Pixelator nondestructive for editing.
Both of them will grow up.
I was hoping this to be the case, but AFAIK plugins are only for editing, not for the DAM functionality. And Apple takes a very leisurely pace at expanding functionality, and I see no evidence of them offering Photos Pro. Which is weird, because it has Garageband and Logic, iMovie and Final Cut Pro X. Given that Apple’s iPhone is probably the single best selling camera on planet earth, I really find it weird that they don’t put more effort into Photos and create Photos Pro.

Well, I’ll get off my hobby horse now ;-)

PS The Pixelmator team has worked steadily now to create a really powerful editor. I created my next book’s cover with it. I’m not a great editor and the artwork came from a friend, but still, I remember Pixelmator 1.0 (which I bought). Even if the Pixelmator team decides to not do a DAM I am happy to support them with my money. But I feel just like e. g. the OmniGroup they are one of the few companies who know how to design modern Mac UIs and make use of modern Mac technologies. That’s also another thing almost all other pieces of software lack: they are cross-platform and hence, cannot adopt too many platform-specific features. Adobe apps don’t work like Mac apps, they work like Adobe apps — for better or worse. If anyone can design a modern DAM for the Mac, I think it is the Pixelmator team. (I hope that pep talk worked, fingers crossed …)

2021-04-20 06:15:18

lightroom

2021-04-20 07:07:00

Hi Smith8395john,

Lightroom is sins it is a monthly subscription for a lot of people no option. Partly because of the price partly because they don't want to work in the cloud.

Regards,

Twan

2022-04-02 20:14:00

You could try "Adobe Bridge". It's free and quite capable.

2023-02-17 17:45:01

by Helmut Wagner You could try "Adobe Bridge". It's free and quite capable.
Correct! Adobe Bridge is a capable tool to apply keywords and to search at a later date using keywords.

2024-01-30 11:21:22

There are a lot of people who are trying to get rid of Lightroom.