Does Pixelmator come with dedicated fonts? If so, what are their license?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2023-01-08 12:10:49

Hi everyone,

I noticed that there are fonts in Pixelmator Pro that are not part of my Font Book, for example Tsukushi A Round Gothic and Tsukushi B Round Gothic. These fonts also do not appear in other apps that get fonts from the Font Book such as MS Word or Apple Pages.

Is this observation correct? Does Pixelmator come with some fonts of its own? If so, how can I find out the license model of these fonts? For example, can I design a logo using these fonts for commercial purposes?

Any comment is appreciated.

Thomas

2023-01-09 10:14:39

by Thomas S. Is this observation correct?
I hope for a "No". Afaik Pixelmator Pro will not install any fonts. Maybe this is a language support font. Or is a web font from a foreign site.

2023-01-09 12:38:01

Hi! First, to be clear - Pixelmator Pro does come with a few fonts that are used for our templates. These fonts are stored within the app and registered and loaded on launch, and you can use them for commercial work.

However, this does not include the Tsukushi A Round Gothic and Tsukushi B Round Gothic fonts. As Ellen points out, it's possible that these fonts are locale specific. This would explain why you only see them in Pixelmator Pro - many other apps don't display locale specific fonts, while we try to display all fonts available. You can try copying some text with a Tsukushi font from Pixelmator Pro and pasting it into another app like Pages - it might start to show the font there as well.

2023-01-09 13:18:55

Great, thank you for the feedback!

After a little bit more research I found that the "Tsukushi" fonts are indeed fonts for locale "Japanese". They come bundled with macOS Ventura:
https://support.apple.com/en-sa/HT213266

If I add "Japanese" as an additional language, the fonts also appear in other apps.