.TIF save, .TIF layer information

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-09-25 14:41:35

TIF file save has been my way of working since starting out with other software, and I now find inconceivable how Pixelmator still doesn't allow saving a .TIF (or .TIFF) as a working file, and only allows it as an export. To be clear, Photoshop for instance allows the user to choose between .pdf, .tif (or .tiff) or the proprietary .psd and .psb as a way to save a file.
It's even worse that even if I wanted to go to the extent of exporting my .tif every time, the program doesn't retain the layers of the file, while showing them when opening a file from another application. The only file that retains layers when exported (⌘+E) from the app is a Photoshop document, and if i wanted to save it that way, forgive me if I'm blunt, I'm just going to do it from Photoshop.
In short, I'd like a way to save a layered file (at this point, any of the standard recognised formats) that is not a Pixelmator document, should I want/need to open it in another application.

2022-09-26 09:22:37

When you open Pixelmator Pro Preferences (cmd+,) and uncheck "Import JPEG, PNG and TIFF images" you will open your images in it´s origin file format and can overwrite after editing without Pixelmator Pro´s native file format:
If that´s what you´re asking for.

2022-09-26 09:55:28

Thanks @EllenM for the reply.

I'm aware of the feature, which I used; my issue with it is that when I overwrite the original .tif file (from, say, Photoshop) it then loses all the layers (present upon opening the .tif in Pixelmator), therefore making it completely useless as a working file and effectively working as an export mode only formally different than the usual ⌘+E.

2022-10-14 14:35:21

+1 for preserving layers in a tiff file. I’m scanning in old negatives and use a variety of programs in my workflow. Preserving the layers is very useful for me.