Pixelmator Team unveils Pixelmator Pro 3.0 with more than 200 stunning design templates and mockups

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2022-09-22 13:27:19

Hey everyone! We’re incredibly happy to announce that today, we’re releasing Pixelmator Pro 3.0, codenamed Muse. It introduces an all-new way to create designs with over 200 easy-to-use templates, 16 fully customizable mockups, AI-powered template editing, document color palettes, and more.

Learn more about the update on our blog.

2022-09-22 13:53:04

Hi,
Thanks, but for professional work, as a graphic designer I need to use CMYK profile... and bleed 😅
Have a nice day.

2022-09-22 14:25:13

I have decided to leave the Pixelmator world after this update. You call your product PRO! Oh dear! Then I must say that you are heading in the wrong direction!

I need software like Adobe Photoshop and Affinity Photo (Designer, Publisher) for my needs.

2022-09-22 14:29:03

But mockups are good to me :party_face: , I ask the same in the 'Ask for tutorial section', is it possible to make our own templates with image replacement and lightnings effects... ?
Maybe I didn't search hard enough...

2022-09-22 15:13:11

But mockups are good to me 🥳 , I ask the same in the 'Ask for tutorial section', is it possible to make our own templates with image replacement and lightnings effects... ?
Maybe I didn't search hard enough...
Yes! You can customize the templates any way you want, and create entirely new ones from scratch with all the same functionality. We just released two new tutorial videos showing how you can customize templates and mockups - you can find them here and here.

As for creating new templates from scratch, the most important things to know are that by using the new Format > Advanced menu, you can now define layer groups as Alternative Elements which will let you single out a layer and cycle between whichever one is active (e.g. the lighting options in the Mockups) and, by the same token, you can now define layers as Placeholders, letting you replace them via on-canvas controls to any images from your storage, Photos library, or Clipboard, automatically removing their backgrounds and upscaling them if needed. Not to mention that the new Document Colors feature will automatically detect the active colors nondestructively applied to your image, and you can set up custom palettes to alter all of them in an instant. You can find out more in our User Guide article on templates here.

Regarding both of your mentions of CMYK, Pixelmator Pro features both CMYK softproofing and export. If you're referring to native CMYK editing, I'm sorry to say that's not likely to make it into Pixelmator Pro any time soon.

Also, could you elaborate on what functionality you're referring to when you say "bleed"? Are you referring to margin settings when setting an image up for print?

2022-09-22 16:08:47

Fantastic Update! I love that one. Great job

2022-09-22 16:15:08

Stellar update. This is beautiful software. Thanks for giving me the tool I needed to finally part with Adobe's subscription model. Like so many others, I'm vowing to not buy into the trend of software landlords we rent software from, so I appreciate you resisting this exploitative trend! I love Pixelmator and have been spreading the word about it!

2022-09-22 16:28:33

Nice update and great implementation. I think I don't need it so far, but maybe the Alternatives-Groups could be useful in the future.

I'm still missing basic Raw development features like fixing chromatic abberation. CMYK is not needed here anymore these days with Color Management. I don't understand why people are asking for this. The reducing of the color space shouldn't happen in the design process, but when the data is processed for output (RIP or Layout Software). And the correct profiles guarantee best results. Though, you've to understand CM and configure it correct if you're image editor and printer in one person.

2022-09-22 16:59:54

I know a subscription model for Pro is inevitable (and the end for me as a user), so I was wondering why you didn’t use the opportunity to charge for a major new release, and for the people who don’t want to, have them stick with 2.X ?
At least with a “12 month free updates” the software isn’t taken away from the user when they don’t want to pay.
Perhaps this could be 50% of the initial price, if that is sufficient…

2022-09-22 18:00:08

by Dacl00 I know a subscription model for Pro is inevitable (and the end for me as a user), so I was wondering why you didn’t use the opportunity to charge for a major new release, and for the people who don’t want to, have them stick with 2.X ?
At least with a “12 month free updates” the software isn’t taken away from the user when they don’t want to pay.
Perhaps this could be 50% of the initial price, if that is sufficient…
Oh dear, listen to that capitalist! Maybe you should turn to Adobe … They love subscriptions.

2022-09-22 18:20:50

It should be clear from my post that this is not what I am proposing. I might be a capitalist, but at least I can read.

2022-09-22 19:57:51

I don't get it. 3.0 (Big Release Upgrade) it's about Templates? I mean, good for Pixelmator Classic, but we're talking about Pixelmator PRO here, and most of us (Adobe switchers or collaborators) have services like Envato Elements or Digital Juice... First the classic turns into a subscription and now the Pro is leaning towards amateurs? Is this company was sold to a big brother entity? It's a mayor upgrade, templates? I have automation workflows for templates to manage all my clients social networks, a daily tool that uses AI to export the same art in all media sizes with same color palette and brand guide rules with one click. It's fine to have as an extra feature, but not the flagship feature! I don't know, maybe I'm getting old, but this is exactly as Apple did with the new iPhone, they added an eSIM and a lens and now is the whole new iPhone 14!

2022-09-22 21:08:23

I just bought Pixelmator Pro. Things I like are the UI looking like Motion or FCP and integration with those. I'm not sure if it integrates with both or one.

I would like to have a 12.9 in. iPad Pro mockup with my 12.9 in newest iPad Pro screenshot- without a background so I can bring that mockup into Apple Pages. Is that possible? I don't see a way to change the iPad size or remove the background.

Thanks!

2022-09-23 12:25:48

by simonasd
Yes! You can customize the templates any way you want, and create entirely new ones from scratch with all the same functionality. We just released two new tutorial videos showing how you can customize templates and mockups - you can find them here and here.

As for creating new templates from scratch, the most important things to know are that by using the new Format > Advanced menu, you can now define layer groups as Alternative Elements which will let you single out a layer and cycle between whichever one is active (e.g. the lighting options in the Mockups) and, by the same token, you can now define layers as Placeholders, letting you replace them via on-canvas controls to any images from your storage, Photos library, or Clipboard, automatically removing their backgrounds and upscaling them if needed. Not to mention that the new Document Colors feature will automatically detect the active colors nondestructively applied to your image, and you can set up custom palettes to alter all of them in an instant. You can find out more in our User Guide article on templates here.
I love these features and the new templates and template picker look beautiful! I was wondering if it's possible (or planned) to add selfmade templates to the new template picker. I would love to be able to create and curate a brand template collection for my team that then everybody can use to create social posts, stories, blog headers and more. I haven't found this option however, so if it actually doesn't exist please add it! It'd be completely fine for me if it was just a folder structure that you then add your own templates to

2022-09-23 13:47:37

Love the new features, please keep up the good work! I especially like the replacement feature.

2022-09-23 14:28:25

So this update is catering more to designers and not photographers trying to edit images correct?

2022-09-24 07:48:53

by IWasthe1 I don't get it. 3.0 (Big Release Upgrade) it's about Templates? I mean, good for Pixelmator Classic, but we're talking about Pixelmator PRO here, and most of us (Adobe switchers or collaborators) have services like Envato Elements or Digital Juice... First the classic turns into a subscription and now the Pro is leaning towards amateurs? Is this company was sold to a big brother entity? It's a mayor upgrade, templates? I have automation workflows for templates to manage all my clients social networks, a daily tool that uses AI to export the same art in all media sizes with same color palette and brand guide rules with one click. It's fine to have as an extra feature, but not the flagship feature! I don't know, maybe I'm getting old, but this is exactly as Apple did with the new iPhone, they added an eSIM and a lens and now is the whole new iPhone 14!
1000%!!!!

2022-09-24 07:53:23

I LOVED Pixelmator from the time I started using at - at least 2015. I stuck with it through a VERY rocky transition to Pixelmator Pro. I still find many of the PMP interface unintuitive compared to Classic (such as color fill and gradient fill under Tools, then FILL under Format->Effects AND Format->Image->Fill With Color...you've explained it, but still NOT intuitive years later). On top of that, PM hasn't been able to properly outline dirty fonts without getting spikey since PM Classic. SO, instead of working under the hood...we get in-your-face TEMPLATES? Others may be happy with this eye candy, but this is NOT an update worthy of a full number. I can't help but feel that the team is focusing too much on Pixelmator Photo and competing with social media tools!

1) How can I hide this distracting clutter when I'm focused on a project and leave PRESETS (like we've always had and are now in a small column on the right) as the default? PRESETS front and center and a Template (button - NO annoying pictures) to see templates.
2) The designers are COMPLETELY off on what every expert recommends for YouTube thumbnails! These are the antithesis of good thumbnails for discoverability.
3) This bloated the app from 592 to almost 665MB and made PM look like all the random social media iPhone apps.
4) Pixelmator used to be minimalistic tool that opened as you dig deeper (similar to FCPx). THAT was an advantage.
5) We had the amazing Pixelmator tie-ins with Motion a few months ago that Ripple Training featured, and the team comes back with TEMPLATES!?!?!?! NOT cool.

2022-09-24 14:09:32

Is there anyway to turn this off? I find it slows down my work flow by a lot and would prefer to start with a blank canvas of the desired resolutions and ratios. I know what I am planning on making from the beginning before opening the app, so having only present templates for random designs is just a hindrance rather than a convenience. I also do not enjoy seeing 30 templates for the same exact ratio, since it makes no difference because I plan on deleted all of the content inside it anyway. I found the previous template options to be way more optimal, and this feels like bloatware for experienced designers. I want to be positive and say its nice that its there, but in reality I have been considering dropping the software entirely on this reason because I become more annoyed every time I open the software 😕

2022-09-24 14:27:50

As I began reading some of the other comments I found there is a common theme, which is this feels like a beginner feature being forced into pro software and I can see a few pros aren't fond of it (including myself). I think a great feature to implement would be the option to have a 'new brand template' button along side a 'new template' button on intro that shows the old interface of just blank squares with the desired ratios for YouTube, instagram, twitter banner, etc. That way both pros and intro people can get the experience they want from Pixelmator without having to disregard all the time and effort put into the templates or brush off professional workflows 😊 that being said I will be switching to Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo until those features are implemented

2022-09-24 16:24:27

2022-09-25 13:21:40

Cool! Love the updates and I love Pixelmator pro, great work! :party_face:

2022-09-25 19:58:25

by adamjd I can't help but feel that the team is focusing too much on Pixelmator Photo and competing with social media tools!
Wait, what?? 😅

I’m a Pixelmator Photo user (I don’t own Pixelmator Pro) and I feel completely the opposite. Just check at this sub forum of “News and Happenings” and you’ll see Pixelmator Pro getting more attention than P. Photo. Their most recent announcement for Pixelmator Photo is about going subscription.. oh yeah, and the same app for the Mac now. No new features announced. Anyway.. I guess we’re all expecting to see more for the app we use.

2022-09-26 11:15:44

The document “1[Whitepine-Post-Spring is Here]Square Post.pxd” could not be opened. Pixelmator Pro cannot open files in “Autodesk Pixlr file type” format.

2022-09-26 11:34:56

by Sensored Lens So this update is catering more to designers and not photographers trying to edit images correct?
Not even designers, we (designers) paid for online template services needs. I don't get this update. Maybe this is "free taste" for offering a subscription with the templates as an excuse. Don't forget, they start that journey with Classic. Something is fishy...