Export SVG problem - Shapes with outline not rendered like browser

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2022-09-14 03:52:35

Using Pixelmator 2.4.7

I made a simple outline shape of clothing and applied a Fill and a Stroke of 6 pixels wide.

Note the line very tight in the red highlighted portions above.

When I export this as a SVG format, it appears quite different rendered on a browser such as Chrome:

Since there is significant difference between the two I'm reporting it as a bug. Both Firefox, Chrome, and Safari render the image closer to the bottom image.

Thanks for all the great work with Pixelmator.

2022-09-14 08:59:22

Not a bug: Pixelmator Pro don´t support miter joins/limits and sharp edges in its current state - just round caps. If you need vector data from your drawing you´ll need to quick select the black strokes and convert into shape.
And the stroke alignments - as convenient as they are - are not part of the SVG standard and needs to be converted into shapes during export to SVG though.

2022-09-14 14:34:45

EllenM - Thanks for your post, I wasn't aware that the very handy stroke options available are not part of the SVG standard. I was using an outside stroke and pinching the control points close together to create the thin line of the dress fold.

Thanks for the workaround suggestion to convert into shape before SVG export. My concern is exporting to SVG seems to require a bit of trial and error to see what is and isn't supported. I saw this and another minor conversion problem reported last week here:
viewtopic.php?t=20202

Hopefully these minor issues are sorted out! Thanks team.

2022-10-07 19:30:15

Hi ShaTy, I am a user like you working on SVGs and I agree with when you say that it's a trial and error .I suggest pixelmator team to write a White Paper abou what's been implemented and what's not about SVG primitives and specifications.

This would be very useful in not wasting time around doing things not supported. To be completely fair I love Pixelmator Pro and I think is superior by far to other sw I tried with vector drawing capabilities (i.e.I Tried Affinity Designer, Vectornator and others), but at the same time I see that SVG specs include a lot of features and we don't know as user what is included in what we use. So the trial and error....