Would LOVE the ability to embed or place linked images

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-09-01 17:02:30

Both Photoshop and Affinity's line of products (Photo, Designer and Publisher) ALL offer this amazingly useful and time saving feature. By either embedding or linking an image that has been placed into a document, it would give you the ability to either edit the image file externally and have it automatically updated with changes in Pixelmator, or you could easily replace the image file quickly with another and maintain edits made within Pixelmator to the original file, such as scaling or image FX.

I searched the community forums and surprisingly couldn't find this feature request anywhere, so I apologize if something similar has already been suggested. If this is the case, please point me to the correct post.

*EDIT:
I just somehow found under the "Format" menu that there is a "Replace Layer" option. I never knew this existed before. Would love to see this become a "button" or "icon" on the interface to make the process much easier. That at least solves the issue of being able to replace an image with another, but it doesn't solve the linked image issue where you can externally edit the image and then have it automatically updated within Pixelmator. At least we're halfway there now!

2022-09-01 17:26:27

You can kinda do this, I do it all the time, take an image (png, jpeg, etc) drag it to PMP, perform edits as needed, then export back to where you got it in the format you need. You can overwrite the original or a different name. Then you can choose if you want to save in PMP format or delete it. [ I usually import and lock/save in PMP format, make a copy for editing, then save the edited copy and export it as needed. That way I preserve the original and export a copy. ]