Batch editing effects on thousands of photos using Apple Shortcuts fails at 762 every time.

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2022-08-21 14:07:08

I believe there is a bug in the Shortcuts actions for Pixelmator Pro when editing images. I have tried editing my Shortcut using different methods but the process always fails after 762 images.

The last Shortcuts setup:

2022-08-21 14:08:48

Before someone says I should just use "repeat for each item" instead of my highly complex system. I tried that first and the process failed at 762 images. Therefore I tried partitioning the process in batches of max 100 images at a time. Still failed at 762.

I am running macOS Monterey 12.5.1 on a MacBook Pro 14 M1 Pro 16GB and Pixelmator Pro 2.4.5 Odesa.

2022-08-22 12:57:11

Is the 762nd photo the exact same file every time?
If yes, maybe the 762nd file is corrupt causing the shortcut to fail.

Just a thought.

2022-08-23 08:31:06

Hi @Lysander, I believe it to be caused by a memory leak or time out issue. I managed to have photos processed in the end, but I had to keep the Shortcuts application window open and active at all times, and occasionally click on the application window every 3 minute or so. I found a post on Reddit saying that running a Shortcut through Quick Action in Finder will time out or run out of memory, and that more advanced shortcuts should be run from the editor window, menu bar, the dock, or in Terminal. Apparently the Set Variable function should be avoided as it duplicates any data that's already available through Magic Variables.

2022-08-25 09:42:14

It would be nice if someone from Pixelmator responded. Did you contact support directly?

2022-08-25 12:35:06

Hey there. I've let the devs know about this and we're looking into it. Kartmann, could you let me know how large on average (in both file size and dimensions) the images you're trying to process are?

2022-08-25 13:26:31

Additionally, it would be great if you could drop us a line at support@pixelmator.com with your original shortcut file. So far, we've tried running a recreation from your screenshots with 1000 images and all of them seem to have been processed without any issues.