RAW File Processing Destroying Detail

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2022-08-21 07:54:34

I'm somewhat new to Pixelmator Pro and have been greatly enjoying it. However, I ran into my first issue today.

I tried opening up my RAW (.RW2) file of my dog to edit and noticed something weird with the tennis ball in the photo. On the JPEG the tennis ball has a lot of detail, but all of that detail is destroyed once I open up the photo in Pixelmator Pro. I thought it might be an issue with the RAW file itself, but when I opened up the file in RawTherapee the detail was still present.

Here's a screenshot comparison of RawTherapee, Pixelmator Pro, and the JPEG that was saved by the camera when taking the picture. The one in Pixelmator Pro looks completely different. This is with minimal edits on RawTherapee, and no edits on Pixelmator Pro or to the JPEG.

I tried to edit the image in Pixelmator Pro to bring out the detail in the tennis ball, but had no success. Here the image is more zoomed in. It appears that the detail is essentially stripped out of the picture in Pixelmator Pro. It's very odd.

I've only edited about 30-40 pictures with Pixelmator Pro so far but have never run into anything like this. I'm wondering if anyone has tips on what I might be doing wrong, or if I need to change the colorspace or something? Or I would like to know if maybe this is a glitch, possibly because of the color values of the tennis ball? I noticed that my other shots where the tennis ball is out of focus have this same issue (but there is a loss of detail in my dog's fur, for example).

2022-09-09 12:00:51

Hi Logan! If you could send the RAW photo over to us at support@pixelmator.com, we'll take a closer look at what's going on here.