Text to shapes distribution error bug and feature request

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2022-08-07 15:15:40

I created two words in two lines of text in a font I wanted to use. When converted to shapes it puts them in what I will call a Pgroup ("pseudo group"). I selected the outmost individual letters of one word and moved them inward, then selected the rest of the letters in that word and tried to distribute them, but the distribute function was greyed out - unusable. I think that may be a bug.

I selected all the individual letters - not the Pgroup header - tried to drag them outside the Group which crashed my PP (Version 2.4.5 Odesa) on my Studio (M1). I believe that report went to Apple (and you???) That definitely may be a bug.

I was able to reopen without any ill effects; then I was able to move all the individual letters, one at a time, outside the Pgroup - the header disappeared. I was then able to distribute the shapes as previously desired. Placed both those words in a normal group and was able to select and distribute letters of one word as desired. My feature request would be to allow Pgroup text to be distributable as in a normal group; OR, better, make the the Pgroup a normal group where they are distributable.

2022-08-08 00:20:25

It´s not a "pseudo group"; it´s a Boolean add "cluster". You can drag individual glyphs out of that hierarchy till it´s no longer existent - which then allows you to use the Arrange + Distribute tools on a selection of these.

2022-08-08 02:36:27

@EllenM:
That is exactly what I described, and did; my "Pgroup" by any other name is your cluster. My point was that the "cluster" is an unnecessary construct. Should be a regular group. BTW, did you notice that dragging them all out of the cluster at once caused a crash? In my opinion that should be permissible, to empty the cluster. Also what is "boolean" about in a "boolean cluster"? Are they true or false? 1 or 0? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2022-08-08 11:03:03

I guess we can´t have it all: Intaglio and CorelVector make a Compound Path after converting text to shape. Affinity Designer, VectorStyler and Inkscape make a group of individual paths out of a text. Vectornator make loose paths in a layer while.
Pixelmator Pro somehow doesn´t fit in any of these categories - unfortunately. And Yes - I can confirm the crashing bug when trying to dissolve the Boolean hierarchy by trying to move its content out - which BTW needs an explicit feature.