change the fading of the gradient fill tool

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-07-25 18:19:04

When using the gradient fill tool in some landscape pictures I keep struggling with the use of this tool.
I'd like to partially change the lichting of a Raw picture, so I add a colora-djustment layer (great) then I apply a gradient mask to the layer.
I drag from top to bottom, great again
But
a: some how the mask turns up-site down or diagonal or whatever, without me being in good control. I cannot figure out how to make a straight Line(horizontal or vertical) that isn't effected by my perhaps a bit "uncontrolled" movements, with my mouse or trackpad. The line indicating where I am is hardly visible
b. I'd like to influence the fading of the mask, extend the fading area or reposition the start and end point, again this is hard for me to control again. Just is not clear to me how to get in control of this behaviour.

The attached screenshot might give you an idea, how I am trying to work with the gradient.
Image Image
I am sure this is possible and perhaps by using shortcuts or other setting reading the manual and watching a number of video tutorials I still cannot figure this out.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ben

2022-07-26 11:34:28

Hi,
You can constrain the line to 15° with Maj key.
Agree with MacGB, it it's possible can you make the gradient editable after applied it, direction, linear, radial, invert, colors...

It would be a great feature 👍

2022-07-26 13:26:26

I´m not 100% sure what you want to accomplish - just wonder if this set up may work for you?

2022-07-26 14:24:24

@Ellen,
Thanks for your reply
I’d like to add a color adjustment to part of a landscape picture, and create a gradual transition from top to bottom or vise versa, or vertical from left to right or vise versa. But then I’d like to be able to
a. Reposition the gradient
b. Expand the transition area
The moment I grab the centre of the gradient it is quite cumbersom to avoid the gradient to turn around the centre point, or even by dragging the gradient it flips 180 degrees. I believe I somewhere, but cannot find it anymore, that it is possible to control the gradient in combination with keyboard shortcuts, but can't find that anymore, and sofar I didn’t understand how I can change the fading of the gradient. So have a less abrupt change of the “black and white” area.
I will look in to your set-up, if that gives me a better control, and report back

@LaurentP,
Thanks also,
Looking at your response what I like to do seems not possible at this time, is that correct ?
And what is “Maj Key” ?

2022-07-26 14:41:32

@MacGB
I don´t have any difficulties to alter applied gradients at the Fill tab later; rotational values can be constraint by holding Shift key down for instance.

2022-07-27 14:35:20

@ EllenM and LaurentP
Update of findings soar:
EllenM: Following the procedure you showed in your screenshot it works as you described.
However when I use the latest function of PP by using a color adjustments layer, and then creating a gradient fill mask (automatically) linked to the color-adjustment layer, it apparently does not function that way. (See my earlier screenshots)
Once I have done the editing with the mask, I cannot go back and return to modify the gradient mask (not that I can discover), nor are blending modes available.

The tip for the sift key (= Maj Key ?) makes things easier to manipulate.

I was so happy with the latest addition of color adjustment en effects layer, to manipulate parts of my pictures. And it works in a number of cases very well, but apparently not with a gradient fill mask :cry:
Thanks a lot for your support so far.

2022-07-28 19:23:32

Why not apply a Gradient Fill Effect to a Mask Layer? This is under Effects.
This way you have a live control that allows you to move the Gradient where you want and also to change the rotation..
For your purposes won't a White to Transparent gradient work?

2022-07-29 18:15:54

Thanks Lysander for this suggestion. Wasn't aware of the White to Transparent, so that is an interesting one, but it doesn't change the "problem" I run into. In my first attempt I did apply a gradient fill on a mask (as far as Understand), This is shown in my first screenshot. I can manipulate the gradient with few controls ( look at the second screenshot), whereby the sliders and overlay simply don't work.
I did manage in the meantime how to reposition the mask though after I applied it.

Still don't understand why I can manipulate in great detail other selection tools using them in the same way, and why there is a great difference in using a gradient fill as a separate effects mask, and a gradient mask in an adjustment layer.

To all contributors : note that I am an absolute novice in the concept of layers and ,having left Photoshop for > 20 years ago ,I still don't completely understand the logic of layers for photo-editing. I loved the way Aperture handled the (local) adjustments, I completely understand the logic of the U-point technology of DXO, and can work with the way on1 chooses their approach for local editing.

No doubt I love Pixelmator Pro for all it can support me in editing my Pictures, the AI-support, the adjustment layers, the selection tools and possibility to turn them into layers at the right place, without the need for me to think that over :wink: . The erase and super-resolution tools and of course its perfect integration with Apple Photo's.

Thanks

2022-07-30 09:39:53

Here is the method I use.

1. Duplicate the Image.
2. Add a Mask to the Duplicate Image
3. Clip the Duplicate to the Original image with Add Clipping Mask
4. Add Gradient Fill Effect from the Effects menu
5. On the Duplicate layer, make whatever color or other adjustments you want.

As you can see there is a control in the Effects panel that allows you to move the Gradient Mask wherever you want.
Also, the Orientation wheel control allows you to set the angle of the gradient.
You can select the mask and then click on the Effects panel anytime to adjust the gradient anytime you want.

In the sample below I am using the Gradient to darken the sky.

2022-07-30 09:52:46

@Lisander
Thanks for your time and detailed instructions. I was aware of the controls using the effects panelI, but they don’t show up using an adjustment layer. Adding the clipping mask is something I didn’t think/know off. I will give that a try somewhere this weekend,
and let you know.

2022-07-30 10:03:55

I think that is a bug. I know the mask does not show anything at first. But if you right-click the mask and select Refine Mask and do not make any changes then click Apply the mask shows up in the thumbnail.

Kind of weird.

NOTE: I opened a ticket with support on this issue. I can re-create it every time.

2022-07-30 14:29:03

@ Lysander,

I succeeded to get, using the clipping mask, the procedure to work. So thank you for that.
I also discovered that applying effects to a color adjustment layer is not possible

But you can apply a gradient fill to a mask within a color-adjustments layer. (as I showed earlier).

Furthermore I discovered that using the refine mask by right-clicking the gradient fill, allows me to modify the gradient mask as well. to change its transition area, roundness and softness (a.o.) and by selecting the gradient fill tool again I can reposition the gradient by dragging, it

So all in all I start understanding how things can be achieved.

Thanks for pointing out the potential bug.

Ben

2022-08-03 14:34:23

Hi MacGB, just to add on to this, if you apply the Gradient Fill effect using an Effects layer, you'll be able to tweak the gradient as in Lysander's screenshot above, without the need for Refine Mask.

We're also aware of the mask thumbnail issue (thanks to Lysander) and are working to get it fixed. :pray:

2022-08-03 14:41:48

by simonasd Hi MacGB, just to add on to this, if you apply the Gradient Fill effect using an Effects layer, you'll be able to tweak the gradient as in Lysander's screenshot above, without the need for Refine Mask.

We're also aware of the mask thumbnail issue (thanks to Lysander) and are working to get it fixed. :pray:
That is what I love about the Fill Gradient effect. It is so flexible.

Also, look forward to seeing the fix to the thumbnail bug.

2022-08-04 10:27:52

Not 100% sure if that´s supposed to work this way - but I dragged the Color Adjustments Layer onto the image (holding cmd key down) - I have now Effects and Color Adjustments available (Color Monochrome and Gradient Fill for fading on the left side of image in this case) - no icon Preview though:

2022-08-11 15:21:25

That's because command-dragging one layer onto another applies it as a Layer Mask. Since Color Adjustment layers contain no pixel information, Control-dragging them onto a layer will produce an empty Mask, which can be edited with any tool as normal, including both Color Adjustments and Effects. Hope this makes sense!