Tabbing Color Adjustments (Bug Report + Feature Request)

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Photo?

2022-07-18 04:30:15

Sorry, Newbie here. I posted this in the wrong place!

Reposted in Pixelmator Pro Bugs.

----

Hello,

I am a user that suffers from hand fatigue pretty easily when using the mouse to make color adjustments with the sliders. I have since switched to clicking inside the value field and using the keyboard to change values, but more specifically, using Tab to move forward in the color adjustment fields and Shift+Tab to move backwards.

This has brought me needed relief but there seems to be different behaviors when cycling through the end of the last available adjustment vs cycling through the beginning of the first adjustment.

In other words, lets say you are in the White Balance Adjustment, and you Tab from Temperature to Tint, and you tab again, the active field leaves the Color Adjustments options and moves to the Zoom value on the app toolbar. If you continue tabbing, the field focus moves to the Opacity and Search fields, and then gets lost but if you tab again it returns to the Zoom value field. Continuing to use Tab does not return you to the Color Adjustment (White Balance).

The behavior is different when using Shift+Tab to cycle backwards and is closer to how it should work:

If you Shift+Tab while in the White Balance's first field (Temperature), the field focus goes to Zoom value. However, if you Shift+Tab again, the field focus returns to White Balance's last field (Tint) !

This is much better behavior! Even though it cycles to the Zoom level one time, the Shift+Tab doesn't go to the Opacity or Search fields or gets lost. Instead I can stay in the White Balance or any other Color Adjustments I'm currently working on.

It's because of this behavior that I decided to post this thread and hope the Pixelmator team will address this to either:

a) Work the same way when tabbing forward as it does when tabbing backwards, i.e. return to the Color Adjustment value fields after going to Zoom Level one time, but this is not preferred.

b) More ideally: do not tab to the Zoom level at all and remain cycling through each of the values in the current color adjustment only.

Some might consider this a divisive change not being able to go to Zoom, however I don't think it's a big deal. When I searched the community for tabbing related issues, I basically found no posts, so very few users are tabbing, let alone using tab to punch in a new zoom level. Not sure.

Other users might ask why the tabbing only sticks to the current color adjustment (in this case only White Balance), and wouldn't the more ideal behavior be to tab through all other active color adjustments? This is a good point, but each color adjustment is controlled by a toggle switch to display or hide, so not sure if it would be a technical challenge but if it were possible, perhaps it might be a better solution, but that's for the Pixelmator Team to figure out...

My final opinion: If the tabbing forward or backward only stayed within the current color adjustment that would be great. I wouldn't mind manually switching to another Color Adjustment with my cursor and then switch back to using keyboard. Again, this is the Pixelmator teams call.

thanks !!