"This document couldn't be opened."

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2022-07-06 15:06:49

I encountered a weird bug—which I was able to solve—so I'm posting here for those lurkers searching for a solution.

Bug: Trying to open any image file (jpg, png, tiff, psd) results in an error dialogue which reads, "This document couldn't be opened. This document is damaged, or isn't compatible with Pixelmator Pro 2.4.5". Image

I'm running the latest release 2.4.5 on a Mac Studio (Apple Silicon), but encountered the same bug on my aging MacBook Pro (Intel) running an older release 2.4.3. I updated that version to 2.4.5 which has the same issue.

What I tried but didn't work:
- Restarts
- Shut down, wait 30-seconds, start up
- Delete and re-install
- Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders —deselect, then reselect, all the permissions

Here's the solution that worked for both Apple Silicon and Intel Mac:
1. Restart the Mac in Safe Mode (here are the instructions)
2. Log in (you'll know it's Safe Mode because no background apps load, including menu bar apps)
3. Open Pixelmator Pro
4. Open an image (jpg, png, tiff) and it should open within the app as it should
5. Now restart Mac and log into your normal mode

Now it works!

These steps worked on my Intel Mac too, but weirdly, Safe Mode would not allow Pixelmator Pro to open—I got an error dialogue that it couldn't open because my computer doesn't support Metal—and yet, when I returned to normal mode, Pixelmator Pro could open any image file. So no matter the case, just trying to open Pixelmator Pro in Safe Mode will do the trick.

I couldn't find a solution when I was lurking this forum. I hope my post helps someone.

2024-03-05 09:34:56

Worked! Fantastic tip, as my Pixelmator Pro has never failed before!
Sorted!