Close Without Saving

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-02-15 06:15:38

When I try to close a document, if I have made any changes to it I am prompted to "Revert Changes," "Cancel" or "Save." There is no option to simply "Close Without Saving" that I am aware of.

When I am just exploring a document and know that the original file in its current state is fine and don't want to save it (let's say I was just looking around and moved a vector line or two), I am left with two options:

1. Force Quit - Undesirable for obvious reasons.
2. Revert Changes - This takes time and memory when all I really want to do is just close the document.

Does a "Close without saving" option exist already and if not, is it something that could be added? It would save time and memory when using the application given my workflow.

Thanks!

2022-02-17 13:05:37

Hey there, if I've understood your issue correctly, then Revert Changes is basically the same as Close Without Saving. The reason it's titled "Revert Changes" is because autosaving is always going on in the background (just in case something goes wrong). So there are, in theory, changes to revert. You can turn off autosaving and versions using the following Terminal flag:
defaults write com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.x ApplePersistence -bool no
However, in that case, you'll have to remember to save your documents periodically just in case anything goes wrong. :grimacing:

If I've misunderstood anything, let me know, and I'll be happy to clarify!

2022-07-09 04:04:14

Please just have it ask before saving when closing the doc. Not all of Apple's ideas or recommendations are winners.

2022-07-09 06:57:08

Support, this problem really adds a lot of trouble to me

2023-03-15 21:13:42

I have the need to test possible changes without impacting my previous work. On close when I don't save, thinking those alterations that didn't work out are gone, they're auto saved and my work is altered.

Support, with no way to disable this feature, Pixelmator is the opposite of pro.

2023-04-02 20:40:04

I just had the same issue. I was trying something out and wanted to quit. I get the warning to save, or I can review. Review has options to Delete, Cancel, or Save. I presume Delete means to delete the file. Where's the Don't Save option? This is pretty fundamental to every Mac application. Really surprised there is no option for this to discard changes.

2023-04-02 23:14:20

Mmmh - when you enable in PM-Pro preferences "Open Images In: Original Format" - do some editing and want to close without saving hit cmd+W and the "Save/Don´t Save/Cancel" message pops up.