Feature Request: High Dynamic Range HEIF (HDR PQ 10-bit) Display and Export in iPadOS 15

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Photo?

2021-09-30 04:21:57

I suggest Pixelmator Photo to support displaying and exporting High Dynamic Range HEIF (HDR PQ 10-bit) from RAW/DNG/ProRAW file.

It could really be a killer feature in photo editing across any OS platforms. It is especially benefitial to users who are using some recent iPads supporting HDR10 (e.g. iPad Pro 2021 with XDR display). For compatibility in web publishing, HDR-PQ-like JPEG could also be supported, just like what Canon is doing. (Ref: https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article ... ts-of-jpeg)

Please kindly support.

2021-10-06 09:03:50

Thanks for the suggestion, George! While HDR support is probably something we'd consider adding to Pixelmator Pro first, we'll keep in mind that there's a demand for this feature on iPad as well. :pray:

2021-10-06 09:41:50

Thanks, Aurelija. HDR10 compatiable screen is common in Apple iPhone/iPad and Samsung/Sony mobile phone nowadays. 14-bit RAW/DNG and 12-bit ProRAW file should be a capable data source for stunning HDR 10-bit photo.

I believe that there is huge demand on application that can process RAW/DNG/ProRAW and output/display HDR photo on compatible screen.

I am looking forward to seeing this feature in Pixelmator Pro and Pixelmator Photo (iPad) very soon.

Thank you.

2021-10-11 09:58:05

I agree, I think it would make sense for Pixelmator Photo to support a feature like this and make the most of what Liquid Retina XDR displays have to offer. I can't say, though, if that's something we'll 100% be doing but I've pinged the team about it and we'll make sure to consider our options.

2021-10-11 10:07:23

Thank you, Aurelija. Don't let HDR10 screen on tablet/phone/TV beneficial solely to movies and video. Photographers (still photo) are also dreaming of editing/showing their masterpieces on HDR10 screen.

I hope that Pixelmator Photo will become a killer application for HDR10.

2021-10-28 08:15:05

Indeed this feature may become more and more important. I enjoy browsing photos in HDR in the stock Photo app. It would be a shame and make me use Pixelmator Photo less often if I cannot have the same viewing experience after I edit a photo using Pixelmator Photo.

Sincerely.

2023-06-18 01:02:04

by Aurelija I agree, I think it would make sense for Pixelmator Photo to support a feature like this and make the most of what Liquid Retina XDR displays have to offer. I can't say, though, if that's something we'll 100% be doing but I've pinged the team about it and we'll make sure to consider our options.
Any update on this? :) Not sure if the main app has it but the Photos extension doesn't appear to...

2023-09-07 01:13:01

Apparently it’s not there yet. They have an EDR mode for iPhones and iPads, but it is not HDR.
https://www.pixelmator.com/support/guid ... photo/724/

I would also love to see this feature. 🙋🏻‍♂️ Right now when you compare the iPhone’s default RAW photo (with its internal processing) versus one modified by Photomator, you can clearly see the difference in dynamic range.