Pixelmator Pro adds WebP support

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2020-06-04 12:12:44

Pixelmator Pro 1.6.4 is out today, adding support for the WebP image format. And since this format is pretty interesting and unique, we wanted to share the news about today’s update here on our blog!
Check out the full blog post here.

2020-06-04 17:25:03

WebP is only used by 0.2% of all websites though

2020-06-04 23:23:03

by leonfabr 2020-06-04 17:25:03 WebP is only used by 0.2% of all websites though
Just only 0.2 % supports it doesn’t mean you should not use it. If the browser supports it, it’s the better file format and let’s your website load faster.

2020-06-06 15:50:52

A big thank you for this! I use WebP files in WhatsApp Sticker Packs to keep the app size as low as possible, and I always had to switch back to the old Pixelmator for exports. This makes my work a lot simpler!

2020-06-07 09:04:50

I think I know from what feature you are speaking but I don’t want to spoil the surprise... I am curious you speak of soon available, does that mean in around 1 month? Thanks

2020-06-08 06:55:32

by leonfabr 2020-06-04 17:25:03 WebP is only used by 0.2% of all websites though
Yeah, it's possible WebP won't ever live up to its promise but we think adding it is still worthwhile as, at least as of late, it's becoming more widely adopted in browsers and we were also able to add more complete support in Pixelmator Pro (compared to the original Pixelmator). Of course, we're not forcing anyone to use it or even necessarily recommending everyone should switch to it right away.
by ResLes I think I know from what feature you are speaking but I don’t want to spoil the surprise... I am curious you speak of soon available, does that mean in around 1 month? Thanks
That's more or less the plan, yes. :raised_hands:

2020-06-13 15:25:18

Thanks for the support for WebP, it's something I've been waiting for a while.

But ... Why has it not been included in "Export for web"?

2020-06-16 08:52:20

I expanded on this topic here, so I'll paste that response here too:
The biggest (/only) thing is that Safari doesn't support it yet so we didn't feel entirely comfortable "recommending" it in Export for Web when the main browser that most of us use doesn't yet support it. Safari is also the #1 browser in terms of traffic to our site — not by a huge amount, but still, those kinds of things weigh into decisions like this. But we can certainly add WebP to Export for Web in the future, so we'll keep this in mind moving forward.
It's certainly possible that we'll add WebP to Export for Web in an upcoming update.