Question about selecting multiple objects (layers)

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2019-05-12 22:05:50

Hi! I'm new to Pixelmator Pro and I'm trying to select multiple objects (layers) on an image.

I have an image with a bunch of logos on it. Each logo is a layer. I can select one of these logos using the arrange tool. Then I can drag it around.

When I want to select multiple logos using the arrange tool I have to control-click on each one. This is a pain when I have a lot of them. Is there a way to simply click and drag on the work surface to be able to select a bunch of them? Kind of like how selection works in other image programs (Powerpoint or Keynote for example).

I realize I can select them by choosing the layers on the left but that is actually more work than clicking on them individually.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2019-05-13 07:38:01

This isn't currently possible in Pixelmator Pro. With apps like Keynote, this is a little simpler, because there's usually always quite a lot of a slide that isn't part of any object. In Pixelmator Pro, the background layer is a selectable and movable object and even if it wasn't, designs aren't often simply layouts on empty backgrounds, so we'd have to make this a drag action with a modifier key. In any case, I've added this to our feature request list and we'll see what we can do!

2019-05-13 20:04:02

Using a drag option with a modifier key would be fine for me. All you are doing is speeding up the "shift-select and repeat" action. And "Shift-Select" uses a modifier key.

I bet people would this function a lot in certain types of images.

Anyway something to consider for the future!

Ryan

2019-05-14 14:29:58

For sure, I actually really like the idea myself! Just saying that there are few caveats to work out in order to make sure everything works smoothly and intuitively. :wink:

2019-07-26 20:13:12

Yes, this would be super helpful. Even just a "Select All Layers" option would be helpful. That way if you have a lot of layers to select, you can select all and then deselect just the layers you don't want.

2019-07-29 15:03:43

Select All Layers does actually exist — but only with the Option-Command-A keyboard shortcut. :wink:

2019-11-26 23:31:37

I'll heartily second this request. Definitely miss this capability from Keynote. Shift-clicking to deselect background afterwards would not be a big deal-- I have to do that sort of thing all the time in Keynote too.

Also there could be a clever trick where you intersect a spatial selection with a prior selected sequence in the layer list. Perhaps first select the sequence of layers you care about, and then mod-drag to narrow down further.

2019-11-27 09:32:40

by Constructionist 2019-11-26 23:31:37 I'll heartily second this request. Definitely miss this capability from Keynote. Shift-clicking to deselect background afterwards would not be a big deal-- I have to do that sort of thing all the time in Keynote too.

Also there could be a clever trick where you intersect a spatial selection with a prior selected sequence in the layer list. Perhaps first select the sequence of layers you care about, and then mod-drag to narrow down further.
Cool, thanks for the suggestions!

2019-12-08 09:10:09

+1 for this feature.

2019-12-08 14:58:35

Thank you, but I don't understand +1

2020-03-30 20:00:45

This feature has been added to Pixelmator Pro version 1.6!

I'm most impressed at how the Pixelmator listened to customer feedback. I'm sure my thread was not the only one requesting this feature but still it is nice to feel in contributed.

I would like to congratulate the Pixelmator product and development teams, and I would particularly like to thank Andrius in support for passing on my suggestion. Good work Pixelmator!

2020-03-31 13:50:45

by Ryan Rosenberg This feature has been added to Pixelmator Pro version 1.6!

I'm most impressed at how the Pixelmator listened to customer feedback. I'm sure my thread was not the only one requesting this feature but still it is nice to feel in contributed.

I would like to congratulate the Pixelmator product and development teams, and I would particularly like to thank Andrius in support for passing on my suggestion. Good work Pixelmator!
We try our best! :smiley: I think almost everyone at the Pixelmator Team reads almost every bit of feedback that is posted directly to us, whether that's on our Community, on Twitter, Facebook, or elsewhere. Obviously, the hard part is filtering stuff out, planning when to work on certain things, but we definitely listen and lots of people have contributed lots of great suggestions, which we really appreciate. :muscle:

2022-08-21 06:29:23

by Ryan Rosenberg This feature has been added to Pixelmator Pro version 1.6!
Pixelmator Pro on a Mac: Command key (or Shift-Command if you're working with shapes) to select multiple items