[Tutorial] Batch process images with Pixelmator Pro

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2018-10-19 16:11:01

With Pixelmator Pro 1.2 Quicksilver, you can now batch process your images using five powerful actions for the Automator app. These actions let you easily automate repetitive tasks by creating complex workflows, greatly speeding up editing your images.

Read the full tutorial here.

2018-10-31 07:57:15

The only missing thing for me is How to create workflow from scratch - not using ready Pixelmator Pro ones. i.e. how to batch change proportionally image size to width=750px and add to filename -www750 suffix. Any idea?

2018-11-05 12:17:26

For that, you'd need to use a few built-in actions. I'm assuming you don't need the resize the PXD file, but rather an image file. So your workflow would look something like this:

Finder Copy Finder Items Action --> Pixelmator Pro Change Type of Images action (PXD to PNG, for example) --> Preview Scale Images action --> Finder Rename Finder Items action.

2018-11-10 18:29:11

For some reason the output is always .pxd. Even if in the chain I insert a "Change Type of Images" block. Trying to batch color correct and convert a bunch of RAW images.

2018-11-13 08:18:57

It's working as far as we and other users have tested, but you could've uncovered a bug of some kind — could you shoot us an email at support@pixelmator.com about this? It would be best if you could also share the workflow file as well.

2018-12-06 21:16:41

Hello! I have two questions about batch processing images with Pixelmator Pro.

- Can I automate image rotation task?
- Can editing image resolution be automated? For example,
I want to change image resolution from 300 dpi to 72 dpi.

2018-12-07 11:02:36

That's not currently possible, but it certainly shouldn't be difficult to add actions for this as well — just out of interest, what kind of things would you use these for? Only asking so that we could get a better idea about how best to implement this. :wink:

2018-12-08 16:16:56

Thanks Andrius for your response, I need to process a several pictures to include on a report (PDF).

- When I take the pictures, I hold the camera in vertical position, but the result file looks landscape.
Therefore, I need to correct this by rotating.

- We keep a high resolution (300 dpi) version of each picture for our archive, and we include in the PDF report
lower resolution (72 dpi) copies.

In brief, it is a repetitive task that I would like to batch process. At my office, I have access to Adobe's software, so I use "actions."
At home, I would like to use something else for this and personal projects, and I am considering Pixelmator!

2018-12-10 09:39:51

Great, thanks for the explanation! We'll keep this in mind for future updates.

2019-01-26 21:07:21

Could you please have more detailed explain about watermark batch processing with automator using adding effect? Because I have download both the automator file and the effect file, but further I don't know how to use it; In Pixelmator, when I click in the watermark effect, my image is covered by the text "watermark" How can I change this? I would like to have my logo on image. Could you please help or suggest a source that I can learn.

Thanks so much
Best regards
Niel

2019-01-28 09:31:39

Sure, I can explain it here! The Watermark effect is simply a Pixelmator Pro effect preset containing one effect — Pattern fill — with custom image pattern inside it:

In your case, you can create your own effect preset with your logo. As you probably don't want to tile the logo, you can create a preset using the Image fill effect. Here's what that would look like:

Then, if you scroll down to the bottom of the Preset bar, you can click the + button to save the preset and it will now be available in Automator.

2019-01-28 10:07:48

great I understood it now. I'll try it out and please help me if I will confront more problems while trying this.

Thanks and have a good day

2019-09-23 16:34:55

Hello Andrius,

First, allow me to express my gratitude for the work you've put into Pixelmator. I am a new Pro user and it's everything that I was hoping to find without having to go the PS/LR route.

Now, I have a (likely silly) question about creating a watermark effect. I have composed the typography the way that I want it, and used that as described above to create an effect filter using the Image option, but when I apply the effect it drops my logo into the middle of the image. This is fine for one image, because I can edit and move it around, but it prevents me from utilizing the automatic option described in the batch tutorial.

Can you please help me understand how I can have my logo applied using the effect created but place the logo in the lower right instead of dead-centre?

Thank you for your assistance and continued support!

Evan.

2019-10-25 09:54:04

Is there a way to set the image quality when using "Change Type of Images"?

I've tried selecting "Show this action when the workflow runs" but even then it only gives a popup window with the selection of file types, not a slider for image quality. Ideally I would be able to set this within the automator action? Even having to do it at each run with the popup would be better than not being able to do it at all, and as it seems be given low to medium quality outputs.

A solution to this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Robert

PS. another question: is there a way to save 16bit HEIF? the format seems capable of doing so, however there's no way of getting this option anywhere (including macOS Preview)

2019-10-28 13:49:40

by Evan Aube 2019-09-23 16:34:55 Hello Andrius,

First, allow me to express my gratitude for the work you've put into Pixelmator. I am a new Pro user and it's everything that I was hoping to find without having to go the PS/LR route.

Now, I have a (likely silly) question about creating a watermark effect. I have composed the typography the way that I want it, and used that as described above to create an effect filter using the Image option, but when I apply the effect it drops my logo into the middle of the image. This is fine for one image, because I can edit and move it around, but it prevents me from utilizing the automatic option described in the batch tutorial.

Can you please help me understand how I can have my logo applied using the effect created but place the logo in the lower right instead of dead-centre?

Thank you for your assistance and continued support!

Evan.
Sorry for missing this question, Evan! Generally speaking, the Image fill effect should try to preserve the position of the watermark, though I think that, right now, it does so in absolute terms. So if you put it in, say, the bottom right corner of an image of a certain size then apply to action to a number of different images, if they are the same size, it should be in the same location. Did you have a chance to experiment with this?

P.S. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the app! We actually have plans to create a separate watermarking action, which would make tasks like this far easier. :pray:
by Robert B 2019-10-25 09:54:04 Is there a way to set the image quality when using "Change Type of Images"?

I've tried selecting "Show this action when the workflow runs" but even then it only gives a popup window with the selection of file types, not a slider for image quality. Ideally I would be able to set this within the automator action? Even having to do it at each run with the popup would be better than not being able to do it at all, and as it seems be given low to medium quality outputs.

A solution to this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Robert

PS. another question: is there a way to save 16bit HEIF? the format seems capable of doing so, however there's no way of getting this option anywhere (including macOS Preview)
It isn't currently possible to set the quality of used in the Change Type of Images action but it's something we'd love to add — I've put it on our feature request list.

As for 16-bit HEIFs, the Apple API for this didn't support 16-bit depth back when HEIF support was added and it doesn't look like they are now, either. But we'll double-check this.

2019-10-29 05:42:30

Hello
I cannot add some Pixelmator actions in automator such as auto enhance, auto white balance and color adjustment.
I also tried to use the example file (auto enhance workflow) from This page, the program shows "The action could not be loaded because its executable is not loadable." as in the attach image. Image
How to fix this?

2020-03-31 15:27:37

I usually do this batch to export images for ecommerce:

1.- Resize image to 900x900* px @ 72 dpi - JPG 70%

2.- If image is not square, change canvas size to 900 x 900

Since macOS Catalina I've switched to Pixelmator, prior Fireworks was my favourite software to manage web images.

How could it be done with Pixelmator ?

Thanks

* proportional scaled, never stretch the image

2020-05-14 11:12:42

Hello together,

I have a bunch of png images with transparent background lying around and want to add a black border around each of them, so that this border matches the specific shape of every image. Can I do that with Pixelmator Pro and Automator?

Yours,
Paul

2020-05-15 14:04:54

Hi Paul, if you're looking to add a black border (/stroke) around the contents of the images, then I'm afraid our Automator actions won't be able to help you. If the images were the same shape and size, you could, in theory, create an effect preset with an Image fill effect that had the outline you need, but I don't think that's quite what you're looking for. The good news is we're also working to add AppleScript support to Pixelmator Pro and this should let you do exactly what you're after. In fact, we're getting closer to being able to release a public beta of that and, if you're interested, keep an eye out for news on our blog and here on the forums.
by jairo 2020-03-31 15:27:37 How could it be done with Pixelmator ?
Jairo, apologies for missing your comment before but you should also find AppleScript super useful for your workflow!

2020-05-15 18:09:32

by Andrius 2020-05-15 12:04:54 Jairo, apologies for missing your comment before but you should also find AppleScript super useful for your workflow!
Hi Andrius,
I've never worked with AppleScript, I'm used to work with Terminal, but I think that I should find a tutorial in Pixelmator website, shouldn't I.

2020-05-15 19:10:51

Just a note – AppleScript support isn’t available yet, it’s coming quite soon though!

2020-05-15 19:46:41

by Andrius 2020-05-15 17:12:16 Just a note – AppleScript support isn’t available yet, it’s coming quite soon though!
Oops. Please update this topic when it were possible. Thanks

2020-05-18 11:50:43

by jairo 2020-05-15 19:46:41
Oops. Please update this topic when it were possible. Thanks
Sure! In fact, we'll probably create a separate tutorial just for AppleScript.

2020-06-14 15:05:46

Hi,
Is there a way to crop multiple images at once in pixelmator pro/automator? I want to crop a specific area and not something measured from the middle of the pictures (like the workflow offered in automator). Would be a big help :) thanks

2020-06-16 12:11:14

Could you expand a little more about what exactly you need with specific examples? It sounds like Automator won't work for you but we're working on AppleScript support and that seems like it might do the job.