Combining masks

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2023-05-31 18:15:26

If I've created two masks in Pixelmator Pro for doing color adjustments layers, is it possible to then create a combined mask (inverted to apply to the rest of the image) for use on a new layer?

2023-06-01 10:23:04

If I understand the question correctly, the best workflow should be duplicating (Command-J) the mask and then inverting (Command-I) its colors. Let me know if it works!

2023-06-01 14:06:27

That works fine for a single mask. But frequently there are more. For example, imagine a photo has the following:

- sky (masked)
- background (masked)
- foreground

To make a mask for the foreground, I would to combine the sky mask with the background mask and invert the combined mask to create the foreground mask.

2023-06-02 12:06:02

Got it. For now, you cannot add more than one mask to a Color Adjustments layer in Pixelmator Pro. If your work frequently requires this feature, you can try out the photo editor Photomator – you can add, subtract, and intersect masks there.

2023-06-02 15:49:28

Unfortunately Photomator doesn’t have anything like the quick selection tool and it often misses detailed sky selections and can’t select background unless there’s a very prominent subject. Having tried using both together, it’s a huge workflow hassle and I wish this was a single app, not two.

2023-06-03 09:59:25

by Robert Dominy Unfortunately Photomator doesn’t have anything like the quick selection tool and it often misses detailed sky selections and can’t select background unless there’s a very prominent subject. Having tried using both together, it’s a huge workflow hassle and I wish this was a single app, not two.
Exactly, there is not need for two apps with overlapping features. They should have combined the Photomator selection features into Pixelmator Pro.

2023-06-05 10:50:26

by Robert Dominy Unfortunately Photomator doesn’t have anything like the quick selection tool and it often misses detailed sky selections and can’t select background unless there’s a very prominent subject. Having tried using both together, it’s a huge workflow hassle and I wish this was a single app, not two.
At the moment, the brush selection tool works best for refining selections in Photomator. And, we're also thinking to add something similar to the Quick Selection tool to Photomator. It seems like lots of users got used to the Quick Selection tool in Pixelmator Pro, so I totally understand the need to see it in Photomator. 🙏