Converting Path into selection and applying it to a mask.

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2020-07-12 19:09:50

How can one convert a Path into selection and apply the same to a mask. In PS, one of the ways is by right clicking the layer which gives you the option to convert a Path into a selection. I couldn't figure out the same in Pixelmator Pro.

2020-07-13 14:56:44

You'd need to use a couple of steps for this:

1. Make sure the shape is selected
2. Edit > Load Selection
3. Select the layer you'd like to mask and mask it (Format > Mask > Add Mask)

A quicker way of doing this is:

1. In the Layers sidebar, Command-click the thumbnail of the shape layer to load its outline as a selection
2. Control-click the layer you'd like to mask and choose Add Mask

Hope that helps!

2020-07-16 16:35:46

Sorry this didn't work for me. I have an image of an orange, I want to select the top three quarter of the orange, copy the selected part of the orange using a pen tool and paste the same on top of another image of a teapot.

2020-07-17 12:16:17

If I've understood correctly, you'll need to make sure that, after loading your selection of the shape, you click to select the image layer again and only then choose Edit > Copy. So:

1. Draw your path using the Pen tool
2. Edit > Load Selection (optionally, you can also hide the shape layer at this point)
3. Click to select the image layer you'd like to copy and choose Edit > Copy
4. Open the other image and choose Edit > Paste

2020-07-19 21:39:42

Image Image

I want to copy the selected area in the orange image and paste it over the teapot. I Option Click the selected orange area and try to drag it to the teapot but it doesn't work. I Command J the selected area to create another layer consisting of the selected area only it still doesn't work. With the selection active, I have also tried adding a mask to the orange layer hoping to mask out the rest of the image but to no use.

2020-07-23 06:31:40

Would be interested to read Andrius/PP response to this?

2020-07-23 07:45:45

It's a little difficult to tell from the screenshots but it looks like the selection is not correct in the orange document. I can see that the path you used for the selection is without any fill, so with Load Selection, only the line itself was selected. Try adding some fill to the path before loading the selection. Then, steps 3 and 4 from Andrius's post should do the trick.

2020-07-23 08:43:10

When selecting, you need to select the layer with oranges.

2020-07-23 08:58:39

by Ihar 2020-07-23 08:44:20 When selecting, you need to select the layer with oranges.
That too! :ok_hand:

2020-07-23 16:02:31

Thanks for your reply guys. Still no success.
Here are the links to the kettle and orange image, and the YouTube video I am trying to replicate.

https://www.jujoydesignbangla.com/2018/ ... ation.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-cCnRU22aI

Thanks.

2020-07-29 10:42:52

If that helps, I've recorded a quick video of how this should work: http://upload-cdn.pixelmator.com/orange-selection.mov

2020-07-29 16:42:40

Thanks Aurelija. Using the Fill under the Style tool did work.
Previously I was using the Color Fill tool to fill the path which did not work.

2020-07-30 11:38:19

Yay! Awesome. The regular Color Fill tool would probably work here too but that would also require an additional layer. Anyway, I'm glad that helped. :blush:

2020-11-10 09:43:43

by aligohar 2020-07-29 08:42:40 Thanks Aurelija. Using the Fill under the Style tool did work.
Previously I was using the Color Fill tool to fill the path which did not work.
by Aurelija 2020-07-30 03:38:19 Yay! Awesome. The regular Color Fill tool would probably work here too but that would also require an additional layer. Anyway, I'm glad that helped. :blush:
Thanks both, awesome video tutorials!

2022-12-26 06:14:57

by Aurelija
That too! :ok_hand:
dear madam, I hope all good. is there any update of this function, I mean from path directly to be selection. it can be done just click COMMAND+ENTER in photoshop, I hope it can be done here too.
I use pen tool a lot, need selection very much.
thanks

2022-12-26 23:57:45

I´m not sure - but isn´t that the same procedure as for Clipping masks?

2023-04-03 00:15:07

by Andrius You'd need to use a couple of steps for this:

1. Make sure the shape is selected
2. Edit > Load Selection
3. Select the layer you'd like to mask and mask it (Format > Mask > Add Mask)

A quicker way of doing this is:

1. In the Layers sidebar, Command-click the thumbnail of the shape layer to load its outline as a selection
2. Control-click the layer you'd like to mask and choose Add Mask

Hope that helps!
I've tried this several times and it does not work with a path tool and it does not work, I get a completely black mask each time. It was successful using poly selection, however I need the precision of a path. Has something changed?

2023-04-03 07:50:44

Hi there Paul! That method still works, nothing has changed. Make sure that the path you're attempting to select is either a closed path, or has a stroke added to it via the Add Style button in the Tool Options pane. Otherwise, Load Selection won't select anything, as the "width" of an open vector path with no stroke is zero.

2023-04-03 10:14:41

Do you have the right order/hierarchy in the Layers panel?