Big problem with paint brush and shift button - urgent, please help!

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2023-01-13 12:09:32

Yesterday it worked fine on my M1 Mac Mini, latest OS, latest PXMPro version, today it does not work as it should. I use paint brush standard 50px, and want to connect brush clicks with shift what worked fine yesterday. Today it does not work, what ever I try. And I need this option absolutely urgent today as I am working on many photos I need this option for mask editing. Already tried setting options, and restart of app and mac. When pressing shift and clicking at different points it also behaves strange. It does not show click at click position, it shows click at latest before position.
Please help asap please .........

2023-01-13 15:10:33

Here you can see it: (First without shift pressed, then with shift pressed.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ck8sx36nuhjc ... 9.mov?dl=0

2023-01-13 15:12:04

I am dissapointed, as I thought Pixelmator Pro crew is working better that Affinity. Affinity having so many bugs, that never or after years been fixed. Now here it seems that this bug is also there since long time, and nothing happened to fix it.

2023-01-13 15:42:21

Sorry, but I am really p....ed about that. The problem being known sind last year, and still in app. In the moment I can not work as I should, ......... due to this problem. I am using the shift with paint brush to edit masks on objects with straight edges, what works like a charme usually. Now this is just ..............

2023-01-13 15:49:03

Hi there, Kobold!

Are you working with a drawing tablet (and if so, what model) or a trackpad / mouse?
[Edit: If it's the former, this may be a driver issue and I would recommend to reinstall your tablet drivers, and also make sure that they are up-to-date].

Is there any chance this issue could be tied to your keyboard layout, i. e. if you try using the standard English "ABC" layout, are you still experiencing this?

Additionally, here are some basic troubleshooting steps that are known to help with various "one-off" issues. If you haven't already, please try performing each of them and let me know if there are any changes:

- Perform a hard restart of your Mac (turn it off, wait a few seconds, turn it on again).

- Remove Pixelmator Pro from your Mac and reinstall it from the App Store.

- Perform a full reset of your Pixelmator Pro preference files by following these two support articles:
https://pixelmator.freshdesk.com/suppor ... ument-data
https://pixelmator.freshdesk.com/suppor ... references

- Run Pixelmator Pro in Safe Mode:
1. Restart your Mac in Safe Mode - here are the instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-nz/guide/m ... h21245/mac
2. Log in (you'll know it's Safe Mode because no background apps load, including menu bar apps).
3. Open Pixelmator Pro.
4. Create any project and save it somewhere on your Mac.
5. Restart your Mac and exit Safe Mode.

2023-01-13 16:09:21

No tablet, and normal Magic Keyboard, wired. Also wired mouse, nothing special. .....

I just been away from my Mini for 15 minutes, trying the same on my MacBook Air M1 ......... (worked fine, updated to latest PXMPro ..... restart ........ same problems ...... )

Interesting: I did not touch the mini in the last 15 minutes, PXMPro was active, ........ now coming back to Mini, .......... the shift works like it should ....... and I did not change anything!

Same happed 2 hours ago, suddenly it worked, ...... but I can not wait for wonders, so I did a restart, and the problem was back again.

2023-01-13 16:11:00

Like posted, it now works perfect. I bet 1000,- EUR after a restart problem will be back again. What you want me to do?

2023-01-13 16:11:47

Also disabled all extensions, and all not needed things to check, if these are reason for problems ...........

2023-01-13 16:14:22

And believe me, ....... did not work, left the Mac for 15 minutes, ........ did not touch or change anything, ......... now it works ...........

2023-01-13 16:17:46

Quitting the app and start it again, ...... still works fine ..........

2023-01-13 16:22:54

Also there is another bug: When using space / command to zoom in or out, and you are done, the hand icon shows up pretty often. It is depending if you let you command or space key first. (you can not be on same 1/1000 second) If space key is later than command key it shows your actual tool, like paint brush. If command key is later it shows hand icon for moving. That should get fixed please.

2023-01-13 16:23:32

I make a new start of mac ............ now ..............

2023-01-13 16:26:11

Ok, after new start of Mac problem is back again like desribed. I will rest the mac for a while without changing anything and will check again.

2023-01-13 16:45:19

BTW ...... the same problem is on my Macbook Air M1 ........ exactly same behaviour.

2023-01-13 17:01:51

Found something out: When I shift click, and then move the mouse a tiny little bit, the app creates the line to previous clicked point. See in video here. First only shift click without dragging, then shift click with a little movement after click (keep shift helt). You can see the little movements on end of video pretty good.

Please fix that asap!

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7i4m8w7ll0jo ... 3.mov?dl=0

2023-01-13 17:19:37

Regarding the "Little movements" - reproduced. Nice catch, I'll let the developers know.

I'm still unable to reproduce your main issue on my end, however. Exactly which macOS version are you running on both Macs? Was the problem occurring for you with multiple brushes, or a specific one? Was it occurring in any project file, or a specific one? What keyboard layout are you using? Is there any chance there are multiple copies of Pixelmator Pro installed on your system (for example the free trial and App Store versions)?

You say you weren't experiencing the issue yesterday. Were any new macOS or Pixelmator Pro updates installed on your system inbetween the two days, or were there any other notable system changes?

Also, have you tried all of the above mentioned troubleshooting steps, including resetting your Pixelmator Pro tool preferences and restarting your Mac in Safe Mode? If so, and if you do encounter the issue again after restarting your Mac, something else you can try would be to create a new macOS user profile and work in Pixelmator Pro from there. Try it and let us know if the issue persists. You can find out how to create a new macOS user here: https://support.apple.com/en-nz/guide/m ... usr001/mac

2023-01-13 17:33:49

Little movements: How can you reproduce that? If it is working correct, the line should be there in the moment you click. So you can not reproduce this, if it is working properly. Or are you talking about the zoom poblem?
I guess when this is working fine, for what ever reason, it works fine until you restart your mac.
I tried all I can, it happens on all brushes, also on clone tool, ..... guess all tools you can create lines with shift key.
Same app store version on Mini and Macbook, latest MacOS, same app files, and happens on every file .........

2023-01-13 17:38:38

Resetting also been done.

To me it looks as if the app analyzes the clicks, waiting was is happening, ....... instead of just doing the clicks. Do not know if this is possible.

And just now in the moment, while writing these posts, not changing anything in app, ....... is started working fine again.

When I remember back yesterday ...... (was the first day after longer period working again with the app) the shift thing did not work first ........ but I been busy taking many photos, and suddenly it worked and I was happy and did not spend time thinking over it. But today I had to work on many of these photos ....... the rest you can read here.

2023-01-13 18:15:43

Same thing on MacBook Air M1, did not use it for an hour, PXMPro was active, MacBook sleeping, ......... now it works perfect. (with trackpad, no mouse) Before that hour it did not work.
Is this a self healing feature in your app? Would prefer if that self healing would last also after starting machine again.
:-)

2023-01-13 18:17:30

Let me know if your developers need any specific files, logs .................

2023-01-13 19:00:21

I think the Merge Brush Marks option may be part of this problem, as this works same if activated or not. No difference here when checking or unchecking.