Return to Pixelmator

Discuss Pixelmator for iOS and mobile image editing.

2022-12-07 03:33:08

I used Pixelmator way back and thought I’d give it another try with the latest update of the desktop app. It’s quite nice, but I was shocked to discover after reading through these forums that the iPadOS app cannot open a PXD file created on desktop without exporting it as a PSD! I’ve seen threads going back about 2 years with users begging for this feature. There are quite a lot of angry comments about it in here.
If I may make a suggestion to drop working on any more updates to Pixelmator Pro for desktop or Pixelmator Photo and concentrate all of your efforts into that Pixelmator for iPadOS app or you’re going to lose a lot of users to Affinity. I actually stopped using Pixelmator all those years ago when Affinity apps came out just because it seemed like their development roadmap was better and they offered some better features. I’m willing to give app developers like Pixelmator another chance every now and then because I like supporting small companies, but if a company says they’re going to do something and nothing happens for 2 years, I would kind of give up hope. That happened to me with MacRabbit and their app, Espresso.
Hoping that they’ll get an iPadOS update out soon for the rest of the users. Until then, I guess I’ll keep using Affinity’s apps.

2022-12-07 13:58:59

Hi there! Admittedly, there was a short period where development for Pixelmator for iOS was on a bit of a hiatus, but that's no longer the case. The latest version of Pixelmator for iOS supports PXD files and features an updated user interface, as well as Pixelmator Pro's Machine Learning-based Select Subject tool, and there are many more improvements on the roadmap!

2022-12-07 15:37:26

Af

2022-12-08 03:41:04

by simonasd Hi there! Admittedly, there was a short period where development for Pixelmator for iOS was on a bit of a hiatus, but that's no longer the case. The latest version of Pixelmator for iOS supports PXD files and features an updated user interface, as well as Pixelmator Pro's Machine Learning-based Select Subject tool, and there are many more improvements on the roadmap!
Hmm, I just opened a PXD file in Pixelmator for iPad and it turned it into a PXM file and also gave me a dialog saying the file contains unsupported layers. I guess, at least it was still able to open the file, but…